Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Bad Pool Header

• Please log in to reply

BWhite50

BWhite50

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I've been getting increasingly frequent BSOD with the error "Bad_Pool_Header" before the memory dump. This has been going on for about 5 days. This computer is about 3 months old...really need it to pull through!

Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 1/31/2012 12:52:30 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\013012-24492-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CC40)
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFFA80074FCB50, 0xFFFFFA80074FD740, 0xDBF93B0)
Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 1/31/2012 12:52:30 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFFA80074FCB50, 0xFFFFFA80074FD740, 0xDBF93B0)
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 1/30/2012 3:59:42 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\013012-20186-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFFA80076A9770, 0xFFFFFA80076AA330, 0xDBCA010)

On Mon 1/30/2012 3:28:04 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012912-19344-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFFA800D815720, 0xFFFFFA800D816230, 0xDB111C0)

On Sat 1/28/2012 1:31:04 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012812-21590-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0xB, 0xFFFFFA8007407880, 0x0, 0xFFFFFA8007407C90)
Error: BAD_POOL_CALLER
Bug check description: This indicates that the current thread is making a bad pool request.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Sat 1/28/2012 2:47:34 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012712-16224-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x7, 0x109B, 0xC7F5820, 0xFFFFFA8006E32070)
Bug check description: This indicates that the current thread is making a bad pool request.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Thu 1/26/2012 12:49:04 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012612-18376-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFFA8006D9D610, 0xFFFFFA8006D9D810, 0xD207620)

On Thu 1/26/2012 3:41:09 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012512-21637-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x87001)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x404, 0xFFFFF88009E76928, 0xFFFFF88009E76180)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

On Thu 1/26/2012 3:33:36 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012512-42728-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x7, 0x109B, 0x9A6B0D0, 0xFFFFFA800DA4C6E0)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

9 crash dumps have been found and analyzed.
Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Edited by BWhite50, 30 January 2012 - 08:57 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
BWhite50

Welcome to GeekstoGo.
I have arranged for your OTL log to be edited out, they are not allowed in this forum.
They are a Malware tool and used only in that forum.
Do not worry about it, at all, we will gain the information we need by other ways.

1. I appreciate it is not the drive with Windows but you are dangerously low on free space on this drive.

Drive F: | 698.63 Gb Total Space | 27.92 Gb Free Space | 4.00% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS

4% is just NOT sufficient.

2. Download this WhoCrashed 3.03

please and click the analyse tab and copy and paste the results please
http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

When you scroll to the results would you please send them as a copy and paste and not as a file which I have to open - thank you.

3. I see you have Avast installed .
You also have Spybot S&D
See this please
http://www.safer-net...rial/index.html

The section RESIDENT
Do you have this enabled.
If so and you can connect the datre of installing that or enabling any of the htree resient protection schemes, to the problems, disable ALL the resident protection on Spybot.
You will of course still have AVAST and your Firewall - what is the Firewall please?

4. I am signing off now as it is 0252 here in UK
Back about 1700 hrs Uk time.
Would you also check device manager please see if you have any warnings against devices. Please click the View tab and click to check show hidden devices.

NB Thks for editing out the OTL

BWhite50

BWhite50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks a ton. I've run just about every anti-virus and malware I can trying to lick this thing. No dice so far. I'll check back early and often tomorrow...thanks for the heads up on the first report.

The firewall was going to be my second question. I've been using the Windows Firewall. For whatever reason, it has turned itself off (I'm guessing that was either the result or a cause of this faulty driver) and when I go to re-enable it, I get an "error code 0x80070424" message...is there a fix for that?

Edited by BWhite50, 30 January 2012 - 09:09 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1.Well I was going to post - where are the Crash analysis results, please - but I passed that little test you set for me.
I found them on your first post.

2.Go Control Panel, Administrative tools, services and check if there is an entry there for Windows Firewall and Windows Defender please.
May I request that you DO NOT alter anything, I only want you to tell me if you have those entries.

No dice so far

I am not certain if this means that you have tried my other suggestions regarding Spybot Tea Timer and other resident protection AND/OR if you have checked device manager.

4. Please see if you HAVE, but please DO NOT attempt to use them RESTORE points available.

BWhite50

BWhite50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
re 2: "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" is there but I can't enable it (tried that prior to posting here).
Nothing says "Windows Defender"

re 3: I disabled "RESIDENT" under Tools per your instruction. Is there more than 1 box I should have unchecked or was it simply that?

re 4: I haven't created a restore point (I guess with it only being a few months old we could take it back to manufacturer's defaults if we had to?)

Thanks again for the help. I'm one of the those that thinks they know what they're doing but actually clueless...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You are, slightly misunderstanding what I am asking.
I Do not want you to create a restore point.
I WANT to know if YOU have restore points.

A restore point is automatically created every so often.

Were you using Windows Firewall OR some other Firewall

Re Windows Firewall and Windows Defender not in SERVICES - please confirm that you have gone to services in Control Panel Administrative tools, services.

NOT the separate listing in Adminstrative tools for Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.

BWhite50

BWhite50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I haven't created any restore points. If they've been automatically created then I guess they're there but I haven't created one myself at any time.

I was using Windows Firewall but I can no longer turn the firewall on and get the error message listed above. That started about the time this current issue did.

If I'm understanding right, you're saying to go to:

Control Panel>Administrative Tools

In this main menu, I have:

"Windows Firewall and Advanced Security", "Windows Memory Diagnostic" and "Windows PowerShell Modules"...no mention of "Windows Defender".

Is this what you're asking or should I go to:

Control Panel>Services

and check again?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please READ my post carefully and do as I ask

1. I am not asking if you have created a restore point I am asking IF YOU HAVE RESTORE POINTS
That is Start (Windows button)
Programs
Accessories
System Tools
System Restore
What does it then offer as a restore point
and if you select choose another restore point are there ANY.

2. I am NOT asking what is listed in Adminstrative tools
I am asking as below

Re Windows Firewall and Windows Defender not in SERVICES - please confirm that you have gone to services in Control Panel Administrative tools, services.

NOT the separate listing in Adminstrative tools for Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.

ARE THEY shown in services please

BWhite50

BWhite50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Sorry, didn't know where to look for the restore points...

Under system restore, I have 4 options:

1/12/2012 - Windows Update - Critical Update
1/20/2012 - Automatic Restore Point - System
1/26/2012 - Windows Update - Critical Update
1/30/2012 - Windows Update - Critical Update

In Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services, there is no entry for Windows Firewall or Windows Defender.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Do not worry - Obviously I have no way of knowing your level of knowledge.

Please confirm so there is no doubt - you do not have this

[attachment=55826:Untitled.jpg]

Advertisements

BWhite50

BWhite50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
No offense taken at all. I'm just glad to get some help on this before I brick this laptop!

Confirmed that neither of those entries is present.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go Computer
Double click C drive
Double click Windows
Scroll down to System32 folder - that is the yellow coloured folder double click that
scroll to the files beginning with c - files are after the yellow coloured folders
do you have
consrv.dll

DO NOT try to open files in the system32 folder.

BWhite50

BWhite50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Don't have that there either.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go back to services please do you have the service
Security Centre

If you have it, when you hold the mouse on it , it will say WSCSVC which will then expand to Windows Security Centre Service.

Reference the last PLEASE confirm that you were looking for a file and NOT the yellow folders when you opened system32

I am offline until about 2345hrs UK time.
I will send you the reponse when you tell me if you have the Security Centre service.

BWhite50

BWhite50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Neither of those are present. No Security Center, no consrv.dll. I'm guessing this is bad...