Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no vga input signal

• Please log in to reply

brumis

brumis

• Pip
  • 6 posts
just hooked up an HP Pavilion A6000 to an HPw1907 monitor. I'm sure the cable and monitor are working correctly?? need help as this is my grankids computer

Advertisements

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

There are few reasons why this could be happening, could you answer a few questions about it?

1. Does the PC boot (lights on and a humming from inside)?
2. Do you have a spare monitor you could try?
3. Is the cable plugging in to the board or a card?
3a. If the latter, is the card fitted correctly?

brumis

brumis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It boots fine. No extra monitor, but I hooked it up to laptop (via VGA) and it duplicates fine. Not sure if it plugs into card or not, but I do know the tower has been dropped. Thanks for responding.

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

You say you hooked it up to your laptop, I assume it refers to the tower?

If so, It sounds like your monitor is faulty. If you plug it in to the mains and don't connect the PC, do you get any messages on the screen?

If you mean that you hooked the monitor to the laptop and it works fine, you may have a loose connection in the tower. If you are feeling confident, unplug it all and open the side to see if there is anything loose, this however may void your warranty.

Let me know what you find.

brumis

brumis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I hooked the monitor up to laptop and it was fine (using same vga cord). So monitor is fine, cord is fine. Cleaned and checked all connections. It powers up, fan runs, keyboard and mouse light up. Here's what's strange. I use an HPs3300 with this monitor daily. I've beening disconnecting my pc connection to monitor (dvi) to work on the problem pc. The very first time I hook mine back up to monitor I get the same message. NO VGA SIGNAL AND NO DVI SIGNAL. monitor going to sleep. BUT it immediately boots right up. After that first time, I don't get the message anymore when I turn it on. With the problem pc, I get the same message but it never boots up.

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

Are you in a position to open the PC case?

If so, can you check if the monitor plugs in to the motherboard or to a graphics card?

brumis

brumis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
the motherboard

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

Just so that I have everything straight in my head...

You can't get a picture when you plug the monitor in to the PC.
You can get a picture when you plug the monitor in to the Laptop.
You can get a picture when you plug the laptop in to the PC.

If the above is correct then the only reason I can think that it wouldn't be working is down to resolution. If the PC is set to use a resolution that is "out of range" of the monitor's list you wouldn't get a picture at all.

Can you plug the laptop in again and check what the screen resolution is set to?

brumis

brumis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
let me check something real quick.

brumis

brumis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
You can't get a picture when you plug the monitor in to the PC. RIGHT
You can get a picture when you plug the monitor in to the Laptop. RIGHT
You can get a picture when you plug the laptop in to the PC. DON'T KNOW HOW

I can't check anything on the pc because I can't see the monitor. Am I missing something?

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

No, you aren't missing anything. I thought you had somehow managed to get your laptop running as a monitor.

I'm sorry to say, I think the integrated graphics on your motherboard is broken.

This leaves you with two options on this particular PC...

1. Fit a new motherboard.
2. Try fitting an external graphics card.