Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAPTOP -- GPU Fan Control

• Please log in to reply

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding my Gateway p-7805u FX gaming laptop. --- LINK

I have been trying to figure out how to increase the GPU fan speed on this model. It runs a Nvidia 9800 GTS.

I have tried using Riva Tuner, Speed Fan, Asus GPU Tweak, and MSI Afterburner. All of these however, do not work. None of them recognize a fan control for this GPU. (Thus, I cannot increase the fan speed).

So, I was wondering if there is a way for me to locate the file where the temperature parameters are set. (Because there has to be one somewhere on this PC.)

For example:

If the temperature of the GPU reaches, lets say, 74 Degrees Celc... Then the GPU fan will kick on to "X" RPM, to dissipate the heat.

Does anyone know where this file can be found, or if something like this even exists?

And if it does, can I manually alter the values (GPU Temp & Fan RPM).

Any suggestions regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much!

- Basmastersix

P.S. My GPU is running at 60 - 64 Degrees Celc. While I am sitting IDLE in Windows.

And even though this is a laptop, those are still HOT temperatures, considering my GPU is under NO Stress what so ever while doing that.

In addition, these temps concern me because after I received my PC back from Gateway (I had the screen replaced due to it finally dieing on me) the GPU fan was never the same. I have screen shots saved of my temperatures prior to the screen repair, and they were MUCH cooler than these. (An example would be, while gaming in World of Warcraft... 41 - 47 Degrees Celc.)

Now, knowing that, the 60 degree temps raise red flags. Considering the fact that they are running hotter while sitting IDLE in Windows, then the temperatures that I used to get while gaming and having the computer / GPU under a full load, prior to the screen repair.

Edited by Basmastersix, 31 January 2012 - 12:10 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Fan speed control, where it exists, will be either written into the BIOS of the computer or a mainboard chip on the motherboard. It does not exist on the computer as a file of any sort that you can modify directly.

If you have Vista or 7 on the machine, with regards to Speedfan, if you run it as Administrator (right-click on the shortcut) it may bring up more fans and sensors than it otherwise could under a normal program launch.

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi there Neil,

Thank you very much for your reply. I am thinking about flashing my BIOS back to the version at which it was at prior the the first repair (The screen replacement). While it was in with Gateway during that time, they decided that it would be best to update the BIOS for me; And ever since I have had nothing but trouble with the GPU fan working correctly.

In regards to that, would you, or anyone else know of a good guide that can walk me through safely Flashing the BIOS.

If so, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

- Basmastersix

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Unfortunately you will almost certainly not be able to downgrade the BIOS to an older version. They are usually only meant to go upwards version-wise, not downwards.
You should never flash the BIOS unless you need to, because done wrong it will stop the machine working.