Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

can the cpu itself have a virus?

• Please log in to reply

lakep7

lakep7

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
not sure if this is where i should post this ???? but wasn't sure where to post it. i got a keylogger virus and it would not let me do anything or go online to delete it. what i want to know is: if i replace the hard drive and start over is my computer itself infected or is the infection only effective with the hard drive that was in the computer when i got the virus. hope you understand what i am asking. also i downloaded otl malware removal but my antivirus said that this was a risky program to run. true or what? any help very much appreciated.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hello, there are a number of answers to your question.

Most of the time (from my experience here) the infections are contained to the physical hard drive inside the computer only. So replacing this and fresh setup on a new drive would eliminate any infection on the computer - however it would still be on the old hard drive should it ever be connected again (either to the same or a different computer).

It is possible to have a virus infect part of the system although I have never seen or heard of one myself. Here's some interesting reading though: http://www.tomshardw...romi,13447.html

Either way just start here and one of our experts can help clean you up: http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

Cheers

lakep7

lakep7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
thanks for your reply. i was afraid since it was a keylogger that somehow if i used the keyboard that info could be sent to the one who infected my computer. i changed all my user names and pw on sites that i use a lot just in case and have been using my new laptop for important transactions just in case until i could ask someone that question. thank you very much.
is there any way to get rid of the virus that infected the other hard drive? if i should put that drive in an external drive would it still infect my computer? i would like to try to recover the data from it.
thanks again.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

is there any way to get rid of the virus that infected the other hard drive? if i should put that drive in an external drive would it still infect my computer?

As Troy recommended, it would be best to have one of our malware removal experts help with that. And yes, if you put an infected drive in an external enclosure it could, and likely would infect the computer it is attached too if just started to use that drive or any files on it. That said, you can installed it in an enclosure to then scan and remove any malware.

While BIOS malware is very rare and difficult to get because it has to get past all your security defenses on the way in, it is possible, but not something I would worry too much about. The problem with simply replacing the hard drive is you don't learn what infected you in the first place, how it infected you, or how to prevent recurrence.

lakep7

lakep7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
thanks for answering. i had the XP Antivirus 2012. It somehow turned my web browser protection on my avast. i could not do anything on my computer. unfortunately it was Christmas and my grandchildren were here and i let my granddaughter download a game and a little later i noticed something wasn't right on my computer but it was too late then. i had no way to come here to see what to do so i put a new hard drive in and started over. i didn't have access to another computer.
so are you saying i could put the old drive in an external unit and turn my computer on and then run some programs to get rid of the virus on that drive? is the virus i have a BIOS virus? what do i need to do to let the experts help me with this?
thanks again.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
You need to follow the instructions in the link provided by Troy.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
When you start a new topic in the virus removal forum, perhaps link them to this thread so they will be able to understand the issue a bit better.

Cheers.