Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to create a Windows 7 Startup Repair Disk

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
What Startup Repair is capable of can be read in this Microsoft Article.

You may need to Add The Run... Box For Windows 7 for the below...

However, you can also open the Run.. box via depressing both the Windows key and R together.

--------------

Create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc:

Note: the below can only be done if your machine has a a type of CD/R or DVD/R optical drive installed. Also depending on the exact type of OEM your machine has you may be unable to actually create a SRD.

• Click on Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> Run..., then copy/paste the following command into the box and click on OK:

recdisc.exe
  • Allow the UAC(User Account Control) prompt via selecting Yes.
  • You should now see a menu like the below:-
Posted Image

• Put a blank rewritable CD/DVD in your optical(CD/DVD) drive and then click on Create disc.
A blank CD/R or DVD/R can be used also...

• Note: If a AutoPlay window pops up, just close it.
  • When the SRD has been created you will see similar to the below:-
Posted Image

• Now click on Close >> OK.
  • You now have a Windows 7 System Repair Disc.
Please note: The above can be created with either a 32 or 64 bit Operating System. However the disks are not interchangeable...IE a 32 bit Startup Repair Disk cannot be used on a 64 bit Operating System and vice versa otherwise damage may be caused rather than any actual repairs implemented.

The differences between the aforementioned can be read in this Microsoft Article:-

32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi Dakeyras,

Thanks for this guide. Would it be possible to have this topic pinned so it can be found easily? Huh...please....please...please :)

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 9,772 posts
You're welcome!

No need to pin the actual topic I feel, you could always just bookmark it in your browser of choice favourites for example. Anyway I have updated the actual:-

Alphabetical List of How-to Guides and Tutorials

To include this particular tutorial under Operating Systems Guides. :)

TeaForTwo

TeaForTwo

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Is there anything similar to use with Windows 8.1 ?

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi TeaForTwo,

:welcome:
Windows 8.1 does not support the creation of a system repair or recovery disk to optical media like a CD or DVD. Windows 8.1 supports creating the system recovery / repair to a USB flash dirve. You can see a tutorial on that here

TeaForTwo

TeaForTwo

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
hey go :)

I haven't used this yet so I'm not sure what it does :

Posted Image

It say's System Image and theres an option for DVD's in the screen that follows? What's this for?

Thankyou for the link

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

I haven't used this yet so I'm not sure what it does :

That pertains to creating a backup of your system much in the same way as a Sytem Restore point but more concise and can be used in the event of a say catastrophic Operating System failure and or a severe malware problem for example. You could use such rather than having to resort to a reformat and reinstallation of the Windows Operating System.

Well worth doing so is my friendly advice and use of a external USB Hard-Drive or rewritable CD/DVD media can be used to create the system image on.

TeaForTwo

TeaForTwo

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
cheers dakeyras, I've used DriveImage XML to create a disk image but I'll try creating one with the native tool... Think I'll use USB as DVD would take me a long time. :thumbsup:

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Acknowledged/you're welcome! :)

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
Hello! I'm fairly new to the forum. I would just like to add that system repair disk can really be handy if you can't boot into windows.
I'm attaching a link that explains how to use it. Also A link where you can can down load the file.

Edited by Dakeyras, 30 June 2014 - 02:06 AM.
Removed unwarranted and unnecessary url's