Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Basic Filtering Enging Missing

• Please log in to reply

kaliee

kaliee

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
The Base Filtering Engine is missing and I'm not sure what I need to do to recover it. Since this isn't an actual virus or malware, I didn't run any scans and am not even sure that this will qualify for help on the forum.

My computer is a Gateway, Windows 7 64bit system.

I highly doubt the last virus has anything to do with the missing BFE, but the address to the closed topic is: http://www.geekstogo...-and-need-help/

Thank you for any information or help that you can provide.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,031 posts
  • MVP
Actually it may have been the malware that ate your BFE. We are seeing a lot of it these days.

Download and Save the attached BFE64.zip file. Right click on it and Extract All. This will create a folder called BFE64. Inside the folder will be two files. BFE64.reg and mpssvc.reg.

Right click on BFE64.reg and select MERGE. Allow it to merge into the registry. Report any errors you get.

Right click on mpssvc.reg and select MERGE. Allow it to merge into the registry. Report any errors you get.

Reboot.

Start, (All) Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Admin.

Type with an Enter after each line:

net  start  bfe

(We want it to say
"The requested service has already been started

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182"

but it likely will say Access Denied. If you get Access Denied then:

Go into regedit, (Start, Search, regedit, doubleclick, Continue) navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
(Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM and click on the + in front of it. Find CurrentControlSet and click on its plus. Click on Services) then right click on Services and select Permissions then click Add.
Type in
NT Service\bfe
and click on Check Name. (It will change your typing to BFE ) OK. You should be back on the first Permissions page. Now select BFE on the permission page and click on the first box to the right of Full Control (Allow column). Then Apply. Reboot and do the
net  start  bfe
command again and see if BFE has already been started.

Start, (All) Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Admin.

Type with an Enter after each line:

net  start  bfe

(also check the mpssvc which is Windows Firewall)

net  start  mpssvc

Ron

kaliee

kaliee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
In the command prompt, when I typed in net <enter> start <enter>, it pops open a second window (Administrator: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe). When I put in bfe at the prompt I get the response... "bfe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

However, when I go into Services the Base Filtering Engine is now showing (which was gone prior to this), and the "Status" is blank, under "startup type" is automatic, and "Log On As" is Local Services. Also, I am no longer getting the 5013,3 error that I was getting earlier.

Edited by kaliee, 04 February 2012 - 12:20 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,031 posts
  • MVP
You need an Enter at the end of the line, not at the end of each word:
Not
net <enter> start <enter>,

but
net start bfe
<Enter>

kaliee

kaliee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I feel so silly that I misunderstood your simple instructions, and thank you for being patient and clarifying.

After following the directions and rebooting, both the bfe and mpssvc show the services has already been started.

Edited by kaliee, 04 February 2012 - 01:02 AM.