Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with Upgrading my Comp

• Please log in to reply

Miles3014

Miles3014

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi
I am a hardcore gamer but have no idea about anything with building a good computer. I pretty much want to play SWTOR and other PC games at high or ultra with great fps(preferably over 30). Right now, my current computer isn't getting anywhere near that and I want to upgrade my graphics card to give me that boost. I got sent to this one in particular (NVIDIA geForce GTX 560) or the link below. I just basically wanted to know if that is something I should get as it will be a good upgrade and if my current specs will run this graphics card or if I will also need to upgrade anything else.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.newegg.co...#scrollFullInfo

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome! That looks like a nice graphics card. What are your current specs?

Troy

Miles3014

Miles3014

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Current Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A78LT-M LE
Processors: AMD Athlon™ II X2 245 2.9GHz (Dual)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
64-bit Operating Supply
Power Supply: Tubrolink Switching Power Supply ATX-CW420W 12V
4.00 Gb RAM

If there's anything else that you need to know just ask and I'll try to see what it is.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
First things first you are going to need to upgrade the Power Supply as well. The 420W will not cut it and I have never heard of the brand Tubrolink (is that supposed to be Turbolink??) - when it comes to the Power Supply it is essential you choose something that is a solid quality device.

A quick lookup reveals you will need a minimum 500W power supply with 40amps on the 12v rail... remember that's the minimum. To give you a bit of breathing room something like the Antec HCG-620 would be an ideal upgrade.

Miles3014

Miles3014

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My bad about the power supply, It was called something else but I definitely am going to upgrade that as well.

Ok, yeah my friend was telling me that I would probably want to get at least a 600W. When I was looking around on Newegg one of the options that came up was the Corsair 600W, but it seemed like it had bad reviews.

And the Antec HCG-620 fits perfectly into my budget. So If I grabbed that along with the 560 Graphics Card, would that be perfectly fine for compatibility in my current setup?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Corsair make very good power supplies as well, however reviews are important to an extent. Either way you should be good to go, just make sure you are aware that the GTX560 is a rather large graphics card (in physical size) so make sure you have enough room in the computer to fit it in. Also make sure you have enough case fans to help keep it cool as it will run rather warm compared to your current card.