Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Hate Windows Vista! I want XP again...

• Please log in to reply

samiamnurnot

samiamnurnot

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
My son left home, and gave me his computer. Pretty good machine, horrible operating system.
Dell Inspirion 530,
Intel Core Quad CPU Q6600,
64 bit,
Windows Vista Home Premium, service pack 2.

I have the Windows XP Home disc from my old computer, but I've heard that it's near impossible to downgrade from Vista to XP on some, if not all machines. Is this true? Or can I get rid of Vista, and install XP? The reason I dislike Vista so much is, it wont run or allow me to install most of my favorite programs, to which there are no 'current' updates. Thank you in advance...

Advertisements

nevets68

nevets68

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I think it's virtually impossible to downgrade a existing copy of windows (ie..going from a newer to older version of the operating system) without formatting the hdd and starting over.
Of course some pc manufacturers did allow you to choose (when firing up the pc for the 1st time) to select either windows 7 (or vista) or Windows XP.

As for your applications not working have you tried "compatibility mode" yet? http://windows.micro...sion-of-Windows

You say there's no current updates to your programs? Which ones? Going back to Windows XP is not going to create any updates to those apps.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
First you will need to make sure you have all the drivers for XP so that your hardware will work properly after installing XP. Then backup all your data. Then boot the computer off your Windows XP disc, format your drive and install Windows XP. Then install all the drivers. Then install antivirus and update. Then install all XP Windows Updates. Then restore your data and install other programs.

Cheers.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It really would be better to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional than to downgrade to an ancient OS like XP. XP was designed with security as an afterthought. And Windows 7 Pro can run XP programs in a virtual mode.

Also, odds are your XP license is an OEM license. It is illegal to use an OEM license that came with or was purchased for one computer on another computer. If the disk is “branded” with a computer maker’s brand name, or says OEM/System Builder, Upgrade, Academic Edition, or "For Distribution with a new PC only", then it is not legally transferable to a different PC under any circumstances. OEM licenses are inextricably tied to the "original equipment".

As for your programs that have no current updates, for security reasons alone, if these programs makers have failed to provide current versions, then it is time to look for alternative programs.