Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows security updates

• Please log in to reply

Sking0

Sking0

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Hi,I have seen other posts 'similar' to this but they don't help.
The problem i have is with windows security updates. I keep getting the yellow shield in the taskbar and when i click it and tell it to install the update it installs but about 1 minute later it starts over again (the yellow shield pops up and i am back to square one)
I have Windows XP sp3. The update that wants to install is.......'Security update Microsoft NET.Frame 2.0 sp2 on Windows server 2003 and XP x86 (KB2656352) 1 of 1.
I am running zonealarm. Never had this before so i can't imagine it has anything to do with my security program.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Edited by Sking0, 02 February 2012 - 07:17 AM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You should try to download and install it manually, hopefully this will resolve your problem.

http://www.microsoft...ang=en&id=28571

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it but with no luck. Installed and rebooted but the shield still pops up on taskbar offering the same update :confused:
Any other ideas?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Check in Control panel, Add/remove programs that the update has NOT been installed
Click to check the small box at the top of the window - Show Updates.

If it IS shown as installed. Uninstall it.
Disable your anti-virus and Zone Alarm and try again.
It is very possible that it is Zone Alarm causing the problem.

If the problem still exists
GO here
http://www.microsoft...lang=en&id=8483

Download and install that ensuring you select the appropriate one please - with the AV and Zone alarm disabled and then try the update again on the link that my colleague sent you.
Ensuring of course that you select the correct one.

If that does NOT work go to Windows update, either the Safety Button if you are using IE or Control Panel - Windows Update and see if OTHER updates - you may select any one - if there is NOT one that you particularly WANT or NEED choose one that can be uninstalled.

See if that will install.

IF that fails post back please and we will attempt to ascertain further the cause of the problem.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Last night after reading something i decided to uninstall all the NET. Frame installations and start again.
Since doing that the update KB2656352-x86 has gone. However windows got itself some more updates and installed them..
Microsoft .NET framework 3.0 sp2
WPF2
WF_32
WCS
WF
WPF_Other_32
WPF_1
WCF
XPS
WPF2_32
WPF_Other
Microsoft .NET Famework 3.5 sp1
Update for Microsoft .NET Famework 3.5 sp1 (KB963707)
Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 sp1 (KB953595)

These are all showing in add/remove programs with 'show updates' checked. All installed last night.

Now i have the yellow shield showing and when i tell it to install what it has for my pc....

Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2518864)
The installation fails.
I did try installing with zonealarm turned off but no luck.
I only tried uninstalling all of it and starting again because i searched everywhere and tried everything with the previous problem and nothing worked and i saw lots of people with the same problem none of which had found a solution.
According to my computer properties i am running SP3. I cannot see that program in add/remove programs though.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Reading possible solutions by Googling it and then following the advice is NOT always a good idea, unless you understand the full implications of what you are doing.

Last night after reading something i decided to uninstall all the NET. Frame installations and start again.

THAT was about the last and most drastic step you could take.
I appreciate it is too late NOW, but had you done as I suggested in my post

IF that fails post back please and we will attempt to ascertain further the cause of the problem.

We may have been able to check many other aspects before you proceeded,
THIS is widely accepted as the way forward, WHEN other possible solutions have been tried.
http://blogs.msdn.co...ting-guide.aspx

IF XP was installed with SP3 then SP3 will NOT show in Add/Remove programs. with show updates checked. It only shows there when it was a downloaded and installed SP.

In respect of this latest error
http://support.micro....com/kb/2518864

HOW are your updates configured - download and install
download and I will choose etc
Notfify me ONLY and I will choose when to download and install
OR WHICH.
In otherwords has that update
Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2518864)
downloaded and it is the install that fails, or are you downloading it, after notification and then the install fails

TRY the download from here
http://www.microsoft...ang=en&id=26323

WITH your AV and firewall diabled for the download and the install - ONLY on that site of course.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I somehow knew that what i did would be the worst step i could take. But i did it before i saw you post.
I have no problems with the pc apart from the yellow shield and the worst case scenario for me is having to restore the whole thing.
I have everything backed up on an external hard drive so restoring is not a big deal.
I appreciate your help. The thing was getting annoying and i knew i wouldn't do anything that was totally irreprable.
The amount of time i have spent on trying to sort this out is massive compared to the time i would spend on just starting from scratch.
I think i will just start over and restore from the beginning. Sometimes the (seemingly) long road is actually quicker.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well I would not do that just yet.
For two reasons
Firstly if you are talking about a restore from an image - although usually it works there is no guarantee
If you are talking about a restore from the partition to original condition and then restoring your personal data from a backup, you will of course still lose all the programs installed since the computer was sold and the restore partition created.

I would try what I said, if it does not work there are still many other options before you go along the road of the restore

See this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

If necessary running the net framework cleanup tool and then applying the updates again is preferable to the restore option.

I would also advise a
chkdsk /r
That you may do by either
Open My Computyer, right click the hard drive carrying windows and then click properties
Click Tools
Click Error checking
Click Check Now
Click to check mark the box scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
THE OTHER BOX - file system errors should already be checked. IF NOT please do so
So both boxes are now checked.
Click START and agree to run on restart.
Please then do that and chkdsk will run
It is a five stage check
Please do not interrupt.

If you watch the screen the results are displayed.
If NOT when the computer restarts go
Control Panel
Administrative tools
Event Viewr
On the left pane click Application.
On the main window when the application log loads click the heading source and that will put them in order.
the entries you are looking for are in the source column under the title
WINLOGON.
Most likely the chkdsk results will be the most recent winlogon entry
Double click that to check that it is the chkddsk results
and then if it is click once on the double page symbol, below the up and down arrows.
Then open wordpad or notepad and right click and click paste.
OR right click and click paste on your reply message here.

IF YOU do send them please do so as a copy and paste and not as your wordpad file that I have to open.

OR you may click start, click run, type cmd
and when that window opens
type
chkdsk C: /r

key Enter
agree the message by typing
Y
key enter
type
exit
key enter
and restart the computer

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Thanks again for your help on this. I will go through everything you have said and get back to you.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
All seems to be in order now. I ran the Net framework clean up tool. Ran that 'Microsoft fixit' program.
Then had to install Internet explorer (which took a few goes) because i usually only use firefox.
I had to use Internet explorer because for some reason you don't seem to be able to go on the microsoft site (with firefox) which searches your system and tells you what updates you need, well, i could get on the updates site but there was no option to 'check what updates my system needed'. Once i tried with Internet Explorer i got everything i needed straight away.
Anyway, it is all ok now. I always have updates set to 'Download and install automatically'.
Thank you very much for your help. :thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You are welcome.

Download and install automatically is NOT always the best idea.
For two main reasons.

If you select notify me but I will choose.
The you can allow that operation when you are NOT using the connection.
Updates will only download when the connection is available of course, but if it is trying to download whilst you are using the connection, especially if you yourself are downloading something the update download has more chance of failure.

Additionally, although it is advisable, unless you really know what you are doing to accept all critical updates, especially of course those that mention security matters
You will if you download and then choose the custom installation be able to examine each update to ascertain if you really need it.

EVEN if you still accept them all, it is better to download and install when you are not using the connection, and indeed to install, when you are not runnning other processes.

HERE is an article on it
http://www.theelderg...tic_updates.htm

Notify Me But Don't Automatically Download or Install Them Option Let me know there is an update available.

<LI>

You can then examine what updates are being offered and YOU can choose when to download them and install them. For instance if you have Outlook on the computer you will be offered updates for that, but if you do not use Outlook you obviously do not need those updates. The same situation appertains to many updates offered by Microsoft for applications on your computer that you DO NOT use.

<LI>

HOWEVER a degree of knowledge is required. and EVEN if you still blindly accept them all, as I said above you have the advantage of being able to choose when to proceed.

PLEASE NOTE you must be signed on as a USER with Admin rights to receive the notification.

IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT about how to proceed including the choosing of the updates, then it is best left as you have it set.