Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Thumb Drives only work in Safe Mode [RESOLVED !]

• Please log in to reply

MTGoodGuy

MTGoodGuy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I recently cleaned up an older pc running Windows XP and upgraded it to SP3. I have a Sandisk U3 USB drive that wouldnt work. The PC recognizes the drive but when you try to open it it says that there is nothing on it and has zero free space. I reformatted the USB drive (FAT32) on a different PC and it still doesnt work on this PC. Same display - no files on it yet zero free space. I tried putting files on it from another PC and it works fine on other PCs. I tried booting the PC in safe mode and the USB drive works fine there and I can see the files I put on it. I tried deleting the drivers and that didnt work except in safe mode. Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Edited by MTGoodGuy, 08 February 2012 - 04:41 PM.

Advertisements

MTGoodGuy

MTGoodGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I tried formatting the usb drive again.... still works only in safe mode..... any suggestions?

MTGoodGuy

MTGoodGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Anyone have any suggestions? I am at a loss on what to try ,,,,, thanks

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can give this a try: USB DEVICES - How to delete all (resolves some USB problems), Windows Made Easy

MTGoodGuy

MTGoodGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Finally Resolved !!

It turns out that the HP 3390 USB printer kills all other usb ports. Dont yet know why, but when I unplug the printer all usb ports and drives work fine.

Thanks for your help !

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That's very strange. Check the HP website for an updated driver.