Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Brand spanking new external USB drive not working

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

space sapien

space sapien

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi:

I've just bought a brand new Buffalo miniStation 500GB external USB drive but it is not working. When I initially put it in a driver installation bubble came up and successfully stated it had been installed, however it is not showing up in my computer window. I tested it on another PC (Windows XP laptop) and it was fine and worked straight away. My desktop PC is a Windows 7 64 bit build but it should still work. I go into computer management and it states it needs initializing. I do this with the two options MBR (Master Boot Record) and GPT (GUID Partition Table) but this throws up the same error of "Incorrect Function" in the Virtual Disk Manager dialog box. Any tips?

Attached Thumbnails

• disk management pic.jpg

Advertisements

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

I had something similar a while back, I got past it by selecting MBR on the window you have in the screen shot and then formatting the disk to NTFS.

Can you do this for your drive?

space sapien

space sapien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
No on both choices this came up with errors. I tested the drive on a powered external USB hub and it now works. I've been having issues with USB connections for a while which I believe is more motherboard power issue (I changed my PSU) so at least I've successfully copied over the files I wanted. Trouble now is the MKVs won't play via the USB input on my blu ray player - won't recognise it and makes a funny noise. Works on my flat mate's blu ray via that USB input. Weird. Anyway may as well call this topic closed as fault with USB connection (which was going through top and front of the PC)

Thanks.