Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002-Repair disk?

• Please log in to reply

Yaquigirl

Yaquigirl

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite M55-S139 laptop/notebook. (Yes its old!) This laptop came preloaded with OEM Version of Windows XP Home edition (2002), so obviously I have no CD/DVD to repair. I have a RECOVERY disk, but I do NOT want to recover, I want to REPAIR. I also do not want to upgrade, as I understand an upgrade will also erase all my files, etc. I am willing to purchase a Windows XP Home edition repair disk, but what exactly should I be getting? Do I need a RETAIL COPY of Windows XP Home Edition OR do I need the OS (operating system disk) only? I have contacted Microsoft and Toshiba and since this is an old laptop with 2002 version of Windows, they haven't been able to help me. Can anyone here just point me in the right direction. I am desperately trying to save files, pics etc on my laptop and am totally confused.

PS I am way past trying other methods to correct this problems. I just need more insight as to what I really need to purchase. Thanks in advance. YG

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Have you tried burning the hard drive maker's test CD and booting from it? They usually have two tests. A short one which will tell you if there is any hope and a long one which can take many hours which will sometimes fix problems. If it passes the long test then the drive is good. To find out what drive you have, boot into the BIOS/CMOS setup and it should tell you somewhere the part number of the hard drive you have. Google the part number to find out who makes it.

If you are just trying to recover your files and pictures there are several free options assuming the hard drive is still good.

Hiren's
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
This a BIG! Zip File so save it. Then right click on it and Extract all. Put a blank CD in the drive and then double click on BurnToCD.cmd. When it finishes you boot off it and run the MiniXP program. This will give you a fake XP desktop if the hard drive is still good.

Universal Boot CD:
http://www.ultimateb...m/download.html

AVG Rescue CD:
http://www.geekstogo...ost__p__1913777

The top two also have instructions on their sites for running from a USB drive which might make it easier to get your files and pictures. Each also has several programs for testing your hard drive.

If you buy an XP Home SP3 CD that will probably work for you if the Hard Drive is good. What I usually do is install the new version of XP to a different folder than the default. Say: windows2
It may complain that it is not a good idea but it works.

That give me a dual boot system with access to all of the existing files (installed programs won't run - they will need to be reinstalled). When you boot up it will show you both and you pick the new one. Just make sure you do not let it do anything to the partitions during the install or you will lose your data.

You could also get an XP Pro SP3 upgrade. It is not supposed to delete your data and should keep most of your installed programs.

Another possibility is to pull the drive out of the laptop and use a USB adapter to connect it to another PC. Something like:
http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_vtp_e_2

Just make sure the adapter will handle a 2.5" IDE drive.

Ron

Yaquigirl

Yaquigirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for all the information...however I guess I should have started my question with the fact that I cannot log on to windows at all. When it gets to the log on screen..it just loops then stops. I did press for set up option, and tried logging on using the safe mode, normal mode, etc, and I get the following (list of 24) error messages:

Multi(0)disk(0)rddisk(0)partition(1)windows\system32\drivers.

So I am not sure I can use the suggestions you offered, if I can't access the computer. I think I still can boot into the BIOs info site and get part number to the hard drive. Will check when I get home. Please bear with me...I am not computer savvy!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
No, I understood you can't get into Windows.

You need to get a friend to download and burn the CDs for you if you don't have a second PC.

The messages you see in Safe Mode aren't errors. They are just Windows showing you what it is doing. The last one you see before it reboots can sometimes tell you where the problem is.