Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building First Gaming Computer

• Please log in to reply

yatezy12

yatezy12

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey guys,

Well all my life ive been a console gamer but have always wanted to play on pc rather than console. Most of my close friends play on the pc rather than the ps3/xbox, so im kind of feeling the odd one out. I play mostly call of duty or rpg games and really miss the wow days ( world of warcraft )..

The pc i own at the moment is pretty quick ( well use to be ) but i like to do game editing, GFX design work and also the pc is used for a small music studio ( reason 5.0 + FL studio ) with midi keyboards and such linked up to it, so as you can tell its draining the pc..

So long story short, ive decided to use my old one for all that and build a gaming pc just for games. This will be my first build so i would like someone with experience to have a look over and see the things im getting are right for what i want or if im going to waste my money on some of the bits.

The list

Motherboard - Asus P8P67 PRO REV 3.0

Processor - Intel Core I5-2300 2.8Ghz Quad Core 6Mb L3

Memory - 12GB Kingston Hyperx

PSU - Corsair Enthusiast TX750 V2 750W

Graphics Card - GeForce GTX 570 Ultra Charged NVIDIA

SSD - OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB SATA2 3Gbps 2.5

Also what networking card is best for gaming

My budget is around £800 to £850. Any help or advise is more than welcome

Many Thanks

Dan

Edited by Digerati, 02 February 2012 - 02:48 PM.
Removed centering for easier reading

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
A couple comments. I don't see an operating system listed. Understand only the "boxed" full Retail license can be transferred to a new computer (or upgraded motherboard). It is illegal to use an OEM license that came with or was purchased for another computer on a new computer. If the disk is “branded” with a computer maker’s brand name, or says OEM/System Builder, Upgrade, Academic Edition, or "For Distribution with a new PC only", then it is not transferable to a new PC (or upgraded motherboard) under any circumstances. These OEM licenses are inextricably tied to the "original equipment". If that is the case, I recommend 64-bit Windows 7 or one of the many free Linux alternatives. Just ensure it is 64-bit since you have selected 12Gb of RAM.

And speaking of 12Gb, that amount does not make sense. Note that motherboard supports dual channel memory architecture. That means, to take advantage of dual-channel, you need to install the RAM in pairs and there are 4 slots. So you need 2 x 4Gb for 8Gb, 4 X 4Gb or 2 x 8Gb for 16Gb, or if going really extreme, 4 x 8Gb for 32Gb of RAM.

Note on your motherboard specs page here, the QVLs (qualified vendors lists) for compatible RAM and CPUs. You MUST buy a CPU from the list but there are too many RAM makers and models for motherboard makers to test them all. So you must buy RAM with the same specifications as listed RAM.

That motherboard, like virtually all motherboards, has an integrated network card.

No case is listed. I like Antec cases and the Antec Three Hundred is a nice one. Note it has removable, washable air filters - something all my cases must have.

No HD or DVD listed. With an SSD, you don't have to have a hard drive, but to install Windows, you must use a DVD drive.

Toms Hardware - Best Graphics Card for the Money, January 2012

yatezy12

yatezy12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Just to clear some of the comments you asked save confusion to anyone else reading. I have already bought windows 7 brand new ready and a custom pc tower case. Just sorting all the insides out now, so i can start buying them..

The 12GB is a pack im buying, i just copied and pasted my list. It's only going to be 8GB ( 2 x 4GB ) in the new tower, the spare 4GB is going in my old tower. Just seemed cheaper to buy a 12GB pack of 3 x 4GB..

Is the integrated network card also wifi? as the pc is going to be upstairs, were the router will be downstairs.

Also thanks for the motherboard specs page, that will be a big help.

The items i have listed are from people helping me with what i need, they give me a few options and they are the one's i picked out. Main reason for posting up here before i do start buying anything inside is to check it's all alright, don't want to start buying stuff then people tell me im buying the wrong stuff and end up wasting money on stuff i didn't need or isn't good enough..

Many Thanks

Dan

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
As long as that RAM is compatible, then no problem. RAM marketed and packaged as dual and triple is the exact same as RAM sold in single packets so no big deal. Note years ago, multi-pack RAM was tested, matched, and packaged together as matched sets but current manufacturing technologies ensure tighter tolerances and current memory controllers are better able to handle any minor differences so bundled packages are more of a convenience than anything.

No, it is not wifi so you will need a card for that. I recommend one that has external antennas. And if you have a lot of distance and several walls/floors/ceilings between the computer and the WAP (wireless access point) one with removable antennas may be desirable. Just make sure it supports 802.11n.