Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Windows XP registry

• Please log in to reply

Shooby52

Shooby52

• Pip
  • 2 posts
All of a sudden, every time I turn my computer on, I get a message saying that there has been a serious error concerning my registry and that it was bypassed by a log entry and everything is ok. Yet when I go to Windows Update, I can't get anything to update....the System restore won't take me back a month...( it says that there was an error and won't restore to the date I chose). What can I do to fix this? I don't have an original cd and I don't really want to do a full system restore.

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi Shooby -
There are methods to do this without your XP CD, and it is not very hard if you read carefully first.
Follow This link first and see the video at the end.
You just need to know your legal M/soft license number (I use Magical Jellybean keyfinder) to find it (5 sets of 5 numbers).

See how you go with this -

Thanks -

EDIT - Magical Jelly Bean key finder link Only to find your M/soft Windows Key -

Edited by noknojon, 03 February 2012 - 03:00 AM.

Shooby52

Shooby52

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the info. I'm really just trying to fix what seems to be an issue with a couple of things. Like when I turn the computer on, I get a message that something has happened, but it was fixed(apparently just for that boot). The error report won't go in because the report was corrupted, I can't do a system restore back to a certain date, etc. Little weird stuff. I really don't want to do a whole system restore unless as a last resort. Thanks again and I will save what you sent me in case I decide to do it that way....Shooby52