Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RegKey deleted now I can't boot normally

• Please log in to reply

rktnh

rktnh

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello I need help.
I deleted registry key to fix an explorer.exe usage problem: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32
and now can't normally boot my computer...it gets to where the user menu should be but turns black. In safe mode I added the registry key (that I earlier moved to my documents in case of problems before deleting) back and still nothing. System restore does nothing. What can I do to fix this issue? I can only use the computer is safe mode!
Please help
Thanks
Rob

Advertisements

Wepynx-old

Wepynx-old

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Do you have a Recovery Disk (Partition)???? Safe Mode with networking and download this???? http://www.tweaking.com/

Or go to Prompt Command and enter the key,,you may have to put ,,regsvr32,,before the key.

Edited by Wepynx, 04 February 2012 - 02:19 AM.

rktnh

rktnh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have my windows xp os disc. I have safe mode with networking capabilities. What I need to do is repair the registry and I've heard this can be done with the windows disc but I don't know how to or the commands to use. Any idea? As for the registry I deleted, what I should have done was reset the value to "0" but I deleted the whole thing.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi rktnh
Use the tutorial provided courtesy of Admin http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/
Just a cautionary note we do not endorse the use of registry editors or system tweaking tools and the like as they can often cause more harm than good see http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html for further guidance.

rktnh

rktnh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So I did it the hard way. I wiped my computer/partitions, and installed windows xp and drivers. Everything worked great untill I restarted the computer...blank screen in what seems to be standby or sleep mode. I think I figured out what is causing the problem and it wasn't the registry! I had recently put a DVI->HDMI converter, to connect on my TV, in my DVI port. I did some research and my problem started to sound like a video card or incorrect signal reading to my monitor, so I unplugged the DVI converter and TaDa everything works fine.
No more problems with blank screens unless I leave the DVI converter plugged in at restart.
Now how do I set up the computer so that I don't have to unplugg the DVI converter everytime I turn off the computer? Any ideas?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

rktnh

rktnh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Computer is a 2005 desktop, Dell Dimension 9100 Intel Pentium D 2.8GHz, 2GB RAM
It has both VGA and DVI ports, SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS soundcard, Dell flatscreen monitor.
I have the monitor hooked up with the VGA port and want to use the DVI port to hook up to my TV through a DVI->HDMI converter.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I have the monitor hooked up with the VGA port and want to use the DVI port to hook up to my TV through a DVI->HDMI converter.

Just to clarify, are you adding the TV as a second screen and it will not work or as a single screen that will not work.
Couple of questions for you, what are your video card details, how big is the TV screen and are you using the stock Dell PSU?

rktnh

rktnh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
RADEON X600 256MB HyperMemory VIDEO CARD
TV is a panasonic 42" plasma
I changed the PSU a half a year ago because of the blinking amber light problem now it's a Thermaltake TR2 500.
All I did was plug the DVI converter to the Computer and then the HDMI end to the TV and the desktop screen showed up on the TV. I didn't change any settings in the computer. When I look in the display tab it shows the #1 monitor in blue and a #2 monitor in gray.

Edited by rktnh, 09 February 2012 - 03:03 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Your video card is the problem Im afraid, it does not have sufficient VRam!
For screens larger than 32" or using 3 or more screens an add on card with a minimum of 2GB of VRam is required.

rktnh

rktnh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The setup works as long as I unplug the dvi port before shutting down the computer, but I was hoping to not have to do that. So how much does an extra card cost and does it require space on the back of the computer box? Does it have to be of the same maker of the video card?
thanks for helping out

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The setup works as long as I unplug the dvi port before shutting down the computer,

You should never unplug components when the system is running as it can cause serious damage.
Works on what screen and at what size screen resolution?

So how much does an extra card cost and does it require space on the back of the computer box?

Here are a couple of less expensive cards that will suit your requirements; http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814125411 or http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814500235 no extra space is required at the back of the box.

Does it have to be of the same maker of the video card?

No.