Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some advice on upgrading

• Please log in to reply

Citozx

Citozx

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I'm looking for some information on the upgrades I'm planning to do on my PC. I'm not a hardcore gamer, more or less just looking to make my system capable of playing games at a reasonable FPS, particularly interested in Fallout: NV.

So starting with my graphics card, I was thinking of buying this GT240 graphics card, 1Gb DDR. My power supply fits the minimum requirements, so I figured while not needed I'd upgrade that a bit and buy Corsair CX 430w PSU. Also, going to add another 2 gigs of RAM and upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit since needed.

Anyway, now to the questions, are my upgrades going to do what I'm looking for it to do? Also, is it compatible with my motherboard? Since I'm not that keen on the gaming side of computers if you got suggestions I'm all ears, I'm basically working on a budget of around $150.

Here is my PC: http://h10025.www1.h...product=3548185
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 6000+ 3000 MHz

Thanks in advance for any help on the subject.

Edited by Citozx, 03 February 2012 - 08:48 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Citozx, Posted Image

Looks like you are going about it the correct way.

Unfortunately you 2 links to Amazon don"t work, see if you can fix them, or a link to the product page.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take the full stops off the end of the Amazon URLs, and they lead you to a GT240 graphics card, 1Gb DDR3, and a Corsair CX 430w PSU.

You could do a lot worse than a GT 240, but anything will be better than the onboard graphics you have now. Also the power supply is well worth doing as many HP's come with a Bestec power supply, which is so inferior I wouldn't even trust it to hold a door open never mind power a computer.

Citozx

Citozx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Gday Citozx, Posted ImageLooks like you are going about it the correct way.Unfortunately you 2 links to Amazon don"t work, see if you can fix them, or a link to the product page.

Edited in what I was thinking of getting.

Take the full stops off the end of the Amazon URLs, and they lead you to a GT240 graphics card, 1Gb DDR3, and a Corsair CX 430w PSU.You could do a lot worse than a GT 240, but anything will be better than the onboard graphics you have now. Also the power supply is well worth doing as many HP's come with a Bestec power supply, which is so inferior I wouldn't even trust it to hold a door open never mind power a computer.

Yeah, this was my dads old computer, so it wasn't bought with the intentions of gaming. Thanks for the information.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

going to add another 2 gigs of RAM and upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit since needed

Your Proposed new RAM must match exactly the specifications of what you have installed.

At the moment you have 2GB RAM and you are running a 32bit OS, Approximation 1GB is reserved by the operating system and the integrated graphics leaving you 1GB for all your other applications.
Adding 2GB RAM AND a discrete graphics card will give you approximation 3.5GB for your applications. The reserved RAM for the graphics will be released but the OS will still reserve some.

If you upgrade to a 64bit OS and still have 4GB of RAM installed, the OS will still reserve some memory and you will still only have approximation 3.5GB for applications.

If you buy a 64bi (OEM) OS and install on this Mobo, you can not then install it on another as this would be illegal. I advise just to install the 2GB of RAM and a discrete graphics card.

Consider using this card, will give you a little better performance, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102934
PassMark, http://www.videocard...=Radeon+HD+6570

Your selected PSU on Newegg is deactivated. Consider using this one, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182200

Edited by iammykyl, 04 February 2012 - 06:59 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
How is the upgade going.