Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I broke my SD card reader...

• Please log in to reply

a_to_z

a_to_z

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Greetings,

I have an HP Pavilion Slimline s7700n PC that is running Vista Home Premium.

I also have just enough knowledge about computers to make me dangerous. :/

I was trying to wipe a Micro SD card using MiniTool Partition Wizard, something I had never done before. About halfway through I realized I was apparently wiping the disk drive, not the card. I cancelled right away, but now my SD card reader isn't recognized by Windows, rendering it useless. (The partition wizard sees the drive, though, although when the disk is inserted, it doesn't give the drive the letter name, which would be "G".) I went through every step of the Memory Card Reader troubleshooting article on the HP help site (for example, uninstalling and reinstalling devices, rebooting the system in various ways). Windows claims through all the diagnostics that all devices are working properly with up-to-date drivers. The USB port associated with the reader still works just fine.

The one thing I haven't tried yet is the step that asks you to remove the cover of the PC, disconnect the reader, reboot, shut down again, and re-attach the reader. I'm willing to try this if it might work. Or should I just get a new reader? I've posted the same question on the HP help forum with no answers after 2 days, so I'm turning to you folks.

All this from trying to save $25 by burning my own CM7 card for my Nook instead of buying a pre-formatted one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Hi a_to_z
You may have a problem with the SD card itself, have you tried it in another reader?
Have you checked the Device Manager for any items with a yellow ! or red X against them?

a_to_z

a_to_z

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Thanks for your reply. I fixed the problem myself an hour ago by doing a system restore. I wish that had occurred to me a couple of days ago! Everything is working fine now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
I am pleased that you got it sorted and thanks for posting the solution so that it may help others in the future :thumbsup: