Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backup issues

• Please log in to reply

greco2009

greco2009

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi I'm a noob here, and have a question. I have a Dell desktop with widows 7 on it. It said to run backup for safety resons so I did. The backup wound up in the d: drive. It is now full(d:drive) and shows red. Every time I log on it now says I have limited capacity/memory, I need to clean out sme files. When I follow the popups, it just shows tht I have to dump the recyce bin which is empty anyway. There is not a lot of used space on the hard drive, so I know all the capacity isn't used up by files. I thought about dumping the d: drive, but I have warning message that says if I do, it will effect the programs in the system. What to do?? I also have the whole thing backed up on an external drive.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: greco2009

Go to Start then to Run/Search etc
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions courtesy of happyrock :thumbsup:

greco2009

greco2009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thank you for the response. I followed you instructions, so here is the screen shot... thanks again for the nice welcome the site. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled2.jpg

Edited by greco2009, 04 February 2012 - 02:44 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi
Thanks for the screen shot, unfortunately it doesn`t show me all the info we need, can you expand the window so that it shows similar data as in the .jpeg below, FWIW what you can see shows the drive to be healthy;

greco2009

greco2009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
whoops, sorry,,,

greco2009

greco2009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
here

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled2.jpg

Edited by greco2009, 04 February 2012 - 09:25 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok thanks the issue is more obvious now.
Basically you need to remove the data that you copied to the D: drive, right click on it then choose Explore and again provide a screenshot.
For future reference you should always keep between 12 and 15% of the drives total capacity available or this sort of issue will occur, in this instance you must keep 1.5GB free on the partition at all times and more is better.

greco2009

greco2009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thank you again

So do you suggest I go to my COMPUTER and go to the D: drive and erase everything in it?? Or should I just find the back up file on the attached screen shot and zap that one?? thanks again for your time..

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled3.jpg

Edited by greco2009, 04 February 2012 - 09:37 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Unfortunately it is not as easy as simply deleting everything as you can make the machine unusable if not careful.
Right click on the Program files then explore and again post a screenshot so we can see what is listed, how long has the system had this issue?

greco2009

greco2009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thank you. I hope this is the file u wanted.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled4.jpg

Edited by greco2009, 05 February 2012 - 08:29 AM.

Advertisements

greco2009

greco2009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
or this

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled1.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Can you go through all of the files please and find where exactly you backed up to.
I asked previously "how long has the system had this issue?" what is the answer please as Im not seeing any folders that have been modified recently!

greco2009

greco2009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Oh, I'm sorry, I see. I have been having this issue for over a year. It is not recent. I have been trying to work with Dell and Microsoft about this, and they were no help (they blamed each other). The backup of date of 03-09-2011 is about right. Maybe a bit longer than this. The computer itself is a couple of years older. I have had to dump it and reload windows before because of a virus. But it worked ok after that, until I decided to do a backup which resulted in this issue.

Edited by greco2009, 05 February 2012 - 01:03 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Oh, I'm sorry, I see. I have been having this issue for over a year. It is not recent.

That explains that issue then!
I asked you to go through all of the files and find where exactly you backed up to, have you done this?
We need to know what exactly is on that partition, I know it is time consuming but can you open - explore each folder on the partition so we can see what is enclosed.

greco2009

greco2009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am sorry I am not that literate in the computer field. I assume you are talking about this backup below. Sorry please look @ next page too

Attached Thumbnails

• backup1.jpg

Edited by greco2009, 05 February 2012 - 01:02 PM.