Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

upgrade to xp from win 88se

• Please log in to reply

cabolett

cabolett

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi

i am wondering if it is wise to upgrade to xp from my win 98 se?

it would be on a sony laptop pcg-f540, 500 mhz....192 ram...6bg hard drive. according to ms site it is above the mins.

also when this was made i think the largest stick of this ram made of this type was 128 and has 2 slots=max of 256. now much largest sticks are made and would it be adviseable or not to put in two..256s or one 512 ram or stay with max ram of 2x128ram?

it is still a good old laptop and gets the job done for me.
thanks much!

cabolett

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

They make make larger ram but it still doesn't mean your system can handle it.. If the max for the system is 256 then that is the max..

As for XP, a clean install would be the way to go.. and, I would up the ram to the max allowed.. XP will run albeit a little sluggish on 192megs ..

PS: Forget about the minimum requirements.. 256 would be the absolute minimum ram for XP..

Murray

cabolett

cabolett

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hi
thanks much for your reply. what about going to just a newer windows and not xp?
i will get a stick of 128 ram and thanks. i have a desktop with 512 ram also. should i add more ram? another 512....think is 2.4mhz.

yes, i am new here and like it here:)

cabolett

brotherdarryl

brotherdarryl

• Pip
  • 4 posts
newer windows?

cabolett

cabolett

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
newer than win98 se :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Only WinME (wouldn't touch it), Win2000 and XP are newer..

Unless you go to XP, I would stick right there with Win98SE..

As for the desktop, unless you are running graphics intensive software, 512megs should be lots!!

Murray