Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Time Build - No video/no beeps from new mobo

• Please log in to reply

slowy

slowy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I bought a new ASUS P5G41T-M LX motherboard, and put it in a case with a 480W psu, a processor from a previous computer, two hdd (1 IDE and 1 SATA), and a new 4gb stick of DDR3 ram. The LED on the mobo comes on, and when I press the power button it boots. I can hear the HDD spinning up, as well as the DVD/CD player, and both the psu and cpu fans are on. There is no beep code, and the monitor is not receiving a signal. I tried putting a video card into the PCI-E slot (rather than the onboard graphics) but still no signal. I have checked that the 12v power connector is plugged in. When I removed the ram and attempted to boot, it did beep, so that's probably not the problem... Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What processor have you put in it?
Is it on the CPU Supported list?, available here?
http://uk.asus.com/M...5G41TM_LX/#CPUS

If the processor is not supported, the board will not POST. A lot of G31/G41 boards do not support the full range of processors that were put out for Socket 775.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: slowy

and put it in a case with a 480W psu,
The LED on the mobo comes on, and when I press the power button it boots. I can hear the HDD spinning up,

What brand of PSU is it?
The LED being on is not proof that the PSU is functioning correctly, a PSU puts out various outputs +3.3V, +5V and +12V, if any one of these is bad the computer will not complete the POST procedure and fail to boot therefore you cannot say that your PC boots.

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins and finally try a new or replacement battery.

Did you apply TIM correctly?
A tutorial courtesy of Digerati http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/

Edited by phillpower2, 04 February 2012 - 11:56 AM.
Link added

ston3wall

ston3wall

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Are you using a hdmi cable to connect to the monitor? if so try using a standard PC video cable. Some BIOS systems wont display when using hdmi cables.

slowy

slowy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright, problem solved - CPU was not supported. Clearly a rookie mistake, but I'll chalk it up to be completely inexperienced. Thank you for all your help, it's good stuff to know for future builds, or if swapping out the CPU doesn't help! I wrongly assumed having the incorrect CPU would have a beep code error. Thanks again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup: