Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excel 2010 starter and Excel 2003

• Please log in to reply

6stringer

6stringer

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I have the starter versions of Office 2010 Word & Excel on my computer as well as Office Professional 2003. When I create and save an Excel document in the 03 version and then reopen it,it always opens the document in the 2010 starter version. To get the document to open in the 2003 version I first have to launch Excel 03 and then open the document I created.

I'm assuming the 2010 version is named the default version of Excel, but I want the 03 version to be the default spreadsheet version.Is there a way to change the default version to 2003?

Thank you

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Right-click on an Excel file and choose Open With.

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I tried that first, but it does not give me the option to open with the 03 version, only the 2010 version. If I click "browse" I do not have an option for the 03 version.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Browse to it. It'll probably live in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11 folder.

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
No Office 11 folder but there is an Office 14 folder, which is empty.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Something not right there, if the Office 14 folder is empty (Office 14 is AKA Office 2010).

Re: Excel 2003, you'll need to find out where Excel 2003 is installed because it's not in the default location (Office 11), and browse to where the executable for Excel 2003 is living.
You may be able to right-click on the Excel Shortcut and "Find Target" button.

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
This is definitely weird. When I open the 14 folder there are now two files in it: Custom.propdesc and ONfilter.DLL These were found in Program files Microsoft Office. I found the 03 files in Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Office/Office 11.

So now that I've located everything,I right clicked on the Excel icon from this folder and sent it to the desktop as a shortcut. Problem solved. The 2010 version works like it's supposed to and so does the 03 version.

Thanks for all the suggestions.