Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Degraded Throughput performance in SMART

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
just a quick question i have 3 drives hooked up via a sata port multiplier all 3 of them have low SMART values under Throughput Performance. is this indicating failing drives or is the poor throughput valu due to the fact that the drives are sharing the data Bus ????

the drives are configured as a raid5

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
SMART is not 100% reliable or foolproof (or standard come to that) and a lot of drives will, while in full working order, will generate reports of a SMART issue impending. This may be nothing to worry about, however in a RAID 5 setup a drive that's on the way out will degrade performance as it goes.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Actually, SMART is a pretty standard (for years now) and is a reliable tool, though not conclusive, and an indicator of impending drive failure. The question is, did you have low SMART values under Throughput Performance all along? Or did it just start to happen? If all along, then I would suspect your configuration. If this low value just started, then it would seem one or more of the drives in the array have problems and it may be time to start swapping drives and running diagnostics on them individually.

And in any event, I would backup any critical data you don't want to lose immediately.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
actually all the drives in the array have the same low value i just replaced one drive and within a week it had the same low throughput value. i have a feeling this is due to the port multiplier since the smart tool i use also provides a basic analysis and fitness which is the percentage of drive health was 98 so it seems the drives are all physically healthy but have low performance due to the shared data chanel. i just wanted to confirm wether or not throughput performance atribute was mearly performance data or a indication of failure?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
I agree. You could put the individual drives on an individual controller and check it on its own.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
i actually already did that thats how i know all drives have the same high status i ejected the raid than loaded each drive individually to pull the status they have the same low throughput. additionally i dont now how to get the value back up but it doesent seem to mean anything other than the drives are slower than they should be but since all read and write operations are divided between the three drives i can see some bandwidth competition