Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP - Can't Burn any DVD'S or DATA Discs!

• Please log in to reply

cerigby

cerigby

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello,
Hopefully this is the right section to post my query.

I have movies on my notebook and cannot seem to burn them onto a CD or DVD. I have a HP Pavilion dx6528tx notebook w.vista. I can burn music CD's and Mp3 CD's just fine through Windows Media Player. I cannot burn any DVD. I have AVI, MKV, and TS files all of which I have tried multiple burners to no avail. I have tried converting files through convertxtodvd, and bigasoft mkv converter then trying to use imgburn and convertxtodvd to burn them which doesn't work.

I have tried using Express Burn Disc, Windows Media Player, and just Windows to try and burn the AVI files as is, which doesn't work. I have tried burning them as a DATA CD/DVD (as my Ps3 can play data discs) which doesn't work, and I try burning them as DVD/VIDEO files which doesn't work. I have spent 3 days now trying to get movies off my PC. Errors from "error - cannot read disc" to "unexpected error" - I'm just about to give up. Some programs get to 75% and error, 99% of the time they can't even start burning they sit at 0% for a few minutes and error and eject the disc. I am using the correct discs and trying to burn at a medium speed. I've tried CD-R's as data discs and DVD+R as data and video discs. I've tried SONY, TDK and more - to not success.

I have also replaced the Hard drive about 6 months ago (needed more room) to a Hitachi which is working perfectly, but I hadn't tried burning a DVD until now. Could this be the problem? It was professionally fitted and installed as the HP recovery discs would not work so I had to get it done professionally. Could this be the problem? But why can I burn audio CDs not DVDs or DATA discs?

CD's burn as audio music CDs just fine, and DVDs can read fine but I can't burn DVDs. I just want to burn movies off my PC to watch on my PS3 (I don't want to resort to using a HDMI cable to connect PC to TV/PS3 as the audio doesn't play through the TV - I have to connect an external audio device). I am at my wits end. I have nearly 300GB of movies on my PC which I simply cannot get off. I just want to torrent and burn movies - it really shouldn't be so complicated... If anyone can help I'd be most appreciated.

Edited by cerigby, 04 February 2012 - 12:52 AM.

Advertisements

cerigby

cerigby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK the only thing I've managed to do is burn a movie as a DATA CD (movie under 700MB) with CDBurnerXP, but it only plays video on my PS3 no audio. Which is really not ideal. I want to burn proper DVDs 4.7GB movies. Any help would be great. Thanks.