Free help from tech experts
Welcome to Geeks to Go forums. Create a FREE account now to gain access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. Best of all, registration and all assistance is 100% free! This message, and all ads will be removed once you sign in.
Create an Account Login to Account

Windows XP Desktop missing, explorer.exe not found

• Please log in to reply

MiaDelona

MiaDelona

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Well practically I can boot my computer, log on but after log on there are NO icons, NO toolbar, NO start! I'm currently relying on Task Manager. It constantly brings up iertutil.dll was not found and that explorer.exe is not working. I manually searched for explorer.exe and it's not on C:/Windows in the system32 (I think thats what its called? Im not too tech-wise) How can I fix the problem? I have a toddler who constantly bangs the keyboard when she can, so maybe she's hit something on the keyboard and done it? Help please! Thanks guys!!

Similar Topics: Windows XP Desktop missing, explorer.exe not found     x

Wepynx

Wepynx

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
If you can get to c:Program Files and open IE Task manager- New Task ,,type in explorer.exe and iexplore.exe (this is IE).

Edited by Essexboy, 05 February 2012 - 10:58 AM.
link removed

MiaDelona

MiaDelona

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am using Mozilla Firefox, what does this download do? And how do I know if its a Trojan when my security program never warned any infections?

Wepynx

Wepynx

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I had a problem a while back ,,NO TROJAN or malware,,just "My Documents",,"My Pictures" and my icons were gone . I used that program,,I just installed, opened ,and they were back. If you're using XP try "Kelleys Korner"also.

MiaDelona

MiaDelona

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Well when I tried to do iexplore.exe or explorer.exe it says "This application has failed to start because iertutil.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem". Are you sure this program is virus-free as I dont want to take more risks! I cant even do system restore :(

MiaDelona

MiaDelona

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Btw I've found explorer in WINDOWS (it has a little computer icon?) I tried to open through Task manager but it freezes the task manager and then brings up the same message?

MiaDelona

MiaDelona

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I went through Processes and found drwtsn32.exe, is this a virus??

Wepynx

Wepynx

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I t is an error debugger in xp,,drwstn32.exe is safe,,,try,http://www.tweaking.com/

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 63,090 posts
You have a probable infection

Please follow the steps in this thread

@Wepnyx please do not suggest any malware removal programmes as they can do more harm than good

Wepynx

Wepynx

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Sorry to cause any problems. I had a malware attack early last year and after cleaning and a clear bill of health,,I could not see My Documents,,My Pictures or mMy Computer and Taskbar. I contavted a friend of my uncle whoused to ork for Microsoft in the 80's until a heart problem forced retirement. He suggested "unhider",,I tried it ,,it worked!!!! I did not mean to cause any harm,,as a matter of fact,,,I learned of this site(Geeks to Go)from him. Again ,please accept my apology,,I was just trying to help. This is what I used,,http://trojan-killer.net/download/unhider.exe

Edited by Wepynx, 06 February 2012 - 12:42 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 63,090 posts
Not a problem, it is just that we now have better tools to remove this cleanly

Victor Melo Orodi

Victor Melo Orodi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
if you had run an antivirus before this problem started then there is your problem,you go to the task manager and it tells you cannot find explorer.exe,the antivirus you ran probably detected explorer.exe as a virus and it is quarantined that is if you did not remove it thats why windows wont start,antivirus have a way of interfering with registry that has been infected by virus.if your task manager works(ctrl +alt+delete) then go to browse get to your antivirus look for the scanned files and if you see explore.exe then there you go.restore it to system32 found on windows by right cliking on it.
Restart your computer,go to task manager - new task- then type explorer.exe
Hope it helps.by victor orodi

igennie5

igennie5

• Pip
  • 1 posts
It is not hard to find just press win+r and tyre explorer.exe you will get your solution their several cases when computer gets infected with the worms and viruses at this situation we have have to apply worm removal and viruses removal strategies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured