Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Fan

• Please log in to reply

tyra96

tyra96

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have a HP G61-429WM laptop that gets hot after a few minutes of using it. The fan runs a little, but it does not cool it. After using the computer for a while it freezes. I'm pretty sure I need a new fan, but after removing the keyboard I do not know how to get to the fan nor where to purchase one. Any help will be appreciated.

PS I have sprayed the laptop with compressed air, but that has not helped the situation.

Advertisements

Alysher

Alysher

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
i can prolly help you get to your fan, and you may be able to clean the fan and heat sink instead of replacing the fan entirely...depends on how dirty it is.

ill get back to you here shortly on how to access the fan. need to get some pictures of the laptop in question first!

Edited by Alysher, 04 February 2012 - 10:43 PM.

Alysher

Alysher

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
ok, you are going to have to remove every screw you can from the base and remove the top to access the fan and heatsink. top is clipped to the bottom. so a bit of force at the corners may be necessary, try not to over do the pulling, as the case can crack and make it difficult to put back together properly. and check for screws after pulling the hard drive out, hp LOVES to put a screw in the hd bay that needs removed to get the top off...

let us know if you have issues.

Alysher

Alysher

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
here found a video of someone taking a part a g60 laptop....i know its not exact but but its a good start for you

g60 video

Edited by Alysher, 04 February 2012 - 10:58 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If your fans spins, you don't need a new fan. When you used compressed air, did you open every cover and access bay, remove the battery and any card, and then blast with compressed dusting gas? If so, then you may need to disassemble for a proper cleaning, however, if you do not feel comfortable doing that, take it to a shop - where they do this all the time.

And before dissembling, I recommend you check your temps to be sure that is the issue. Your notebook may have come with a hardware monitor, or you could use a program like CoreTemp.

Have you scanned for malware?

How are you using it? Normal Internet use, or gaming?

Also, note that a laptop should NEVER be used on your lap (or beds, carpets, or anything that can hamper air circulation from underneath) - hence my personal push to call them notebooks instead. You might also consider using a Notebook Cooling Pad w/ext. power supply. I prefer those with their own external power supplies so you don’t put more strain on the notebook, causing it to generate even more heat.