Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HP repair turned disaster

• Please log in to reply

angelbear

angelbear

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi everyone:
My sons HP G62 laptop has been having fan overheating issues and eventually I decided to try taking the laptop apart to get at the fan to clean it. I used an online manual and I thought I did pretty well (only three screws left over). The problem now is that the laptop turns on but the touchpad doesn't work. I am using a mouse to get on to the 'net to download a driver for it but I cannot find the wireless adapter! There are also red x's on top of the speaker icon and the wireless icon. I think I really messed things up. I have tried System Restore twice and it won't complete. It told me to disable anti-virus, which I did but it still won't complete.
Can anyone tell me where to begin???

UPDATE: just used ethernet cable to access the modem. Suddenly, the laptop shut right down.
I'm going to leave it alone until I can figure out what to do next......

Edited by angelbear, 04 February 2012 - 11:41 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
There are two choices. The first is to take it in and get someone to figure out what is wrong. The second is to take it apart again and make sure that all connectors are properly connected and that all screws are where they should be (leftovers are not good). You would need to look at everything carefully.

Since you did not change the software, it is most likely a hardware issue (connectors, etc.), so trying to re-install drivers won't fix the problem.