Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox not responding, pages hanging,unable to start antivirus [Close

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Great! But did you get into the Setup which is the BIOS to set USB legacy in enabled mode?

Advertisements

saltash

saltash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
No I couldn't find "Set Up" I pressed all The buttons along the top row "ESC to F12 " and only F8 took me to another menu which was the "Advanced Options " menu.
Am I doing something wrong CompCav?

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Is there any thing that shows up on the initial screen that has a key you push for setup?

If not what is the make and model number of the computer?

saltash

saltash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
No there is only the options to start windows normally or reboot, and unless I hit escape the pc loads automatically but hitting esc halts the process and then allows me to hit F8 and get into advanced option mode.There is no option to get into Set up
the PC is a Packard Bell Imedia, not sure what model number.
Hope this helps

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Since it is a Packard Bell when you start it immediately start tapping the DEL key to get into the BIOS.

saltash

saltash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I tried that CompCav and all it did was stop the pc loading automatically, I then pressed all the buttons along the top line again. F5 and F8 both took me to the advanced menu screen which contain the followin headings.

safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt

enable boot logging
enable VGA mode
last known good config etc
directory services restore mode

debugging mode
disable auto restart on system failure

start windows normally
reboot
return to OS choice menu.

I tried every button but nothing took me to a set up menu

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Please check the recommendations in the NEXT post first!

OK we will need you to open the case and remove the small CMOS battery.

• First shutdown your computer and unplug it from the power.
  • Open the case
  • You will see on the motherboard a small button style battery.
  • Carefully remove the battery so that you do not ruin the contacts by bending them to far or breaking them.
  • Leave the battery out for 5-10 minutes, this will reset the clock and forec a BIOS prompt.
  • Reinstall the battery.
  • Plug the power back in.
  • Now press the power button.
  • Press F1 to continue when it asks to
  • F2 to enter BIOS or DEL (it should show what to press to enter setup)
  • Once in the BIOS we need to check the Advanced screen for something like "USB Legacy Emulation"
  • We want to set it to Enabled

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
There are some other possibilities for accessing the BIOS (setup)

When starting the computer immediately begin to tap and if one does not work please let it go to the advanced menu options and then select restart and try the next one:

TAB key

Ctrl+Alt+Esc

F1

These came from one the tech team experts Phillpower2 and he also said that the Packard Bell is now owned by Acer and Acer also now owns Gateway so that maybe why we are having to try so many different ways to access the BIOS (setup). Here is a link to a page that describes these for different motherboards by company and model lines.

If none of these work then go back to post #97 (directly above) and follow those instructions.

Regards,

CompCav

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.