Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not really thick, but I feel like it.....

• Please log in to reply

Warthog01

Warthog01

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi

This is not a phone thread, so please read on. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium and trying to free up memory on my Android HTC Desire and came upon an article that looked promising (see below). I successfully completed items 1 through 3, but I cannot for the life of me navigate to the Android-SDK/tools folder, saved in C: Program files (x86) via the command prompt. Every time I type in the path I get an error mesage saying 'Program is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.....'

I have no doubt I'm doing something wrong, but can't figure out what it might be. Is the folder in an inaccessible directory? If so, where do I have to move it to get into it..

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide

:wacko:

You might think this is impossible. But, it seems nothing impossible when it comes to the Android‘s innovation. You can install as many as applications you want to your SD card on Android Froyo powered phones. It might be rare to see on the other phones with different platforms.

Here is the instruction you should do.

1. Enable USB debugging on your device by clicking on Setting > Applications > Development > USB debugging.

2. Download and install the Android SDK. If you have no idea where to visit, you should go to http://developer.android.com/sdk/

3. Connect your phone to computer.

4. Run a command prompt and navigate to the Android-SDK\tools folder.

5. In the folder you can type adb devices and get the serial number starting with “H” in return.

6. Enter adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2.

7. Enter adb shell pm setInstallLocation 0 if you need to switch back to storing software o[/B][/B]n your internal memory.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I am going to be as polite as I can...

If you can't navigate around the command prompt, I highly recommend not using adb to control your device. There are many other ways to free up space on your phone, and this is quite a messy one. Just be more careful with what apps you are installing, and make sure music and pictures go to your SD card. The method you are detailing only makes it so apps install to your SD Card instead of to the phone - which can be a big problem for widgets, and doesn't move anything already on your phone. It also doesn't affect music and photos, which are the big offenders.

That said, the command for changing folders in the command prompt is cd, so if you wanted to go to your documents folder, you could type in cd c:/Users/Warthog01/Documents and that would take you to that folder.

Also, do some poking around, adb is no longer part of the Android SDK. See the Android Developers page for instructions for downloading platform-tools.

But still, with all respect, I think you should look for more conventional ways of freeing up space and stay away from the command prompt and adb....