Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer locking up at boot and at random times [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
If you are disciplined and update it and run a quickscan once every two weeks....no.

If you are not maybe you could consider it but not a necessity to me.

CompCav

Advertisements

Alysher

Alysher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
with as many users as that system has would you recomend any other programs to keep the system clean?

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
A good antivirus like you have and MalwareBytes' is a great combination.

The next step as I said in my close is keep the updates current. And no you do not have to have them on automatic as long as when you see the update shield in your system tray on the bottom right of the screen that you install and reboot.

You could also download a temporary file cleaner like this one. and run it at least once every two to three weeks.

The main thing is discipline to do these things regularly.

You might also consider some tools to protect against bad websites. A parental limiter and maybe Open DNS to prevent going to some bad sites.

Make sure the computer is in a public area in the house and where a responsible adult can keep an eye on the way the kids are using it.

That is my two cents on it!

CompCav

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.