Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cluster of dead/stuck pixels

• Please log in to reply

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Hi, I turned my computer on yesterday to find a thin vertical black line (maybe 7-8 pixels in length). I thought some program had crashed so I rebooted and noticed the line was still there on the POST screen. I rubbed it a bit and it turned into a green cluster of pixels, which has now grown even more (picture attached). I tried several stuck pixel fixing programs to no avail. I also tried to massage it and that failed too. Also, I can see the same spot when the screen is off (laptop off), as in when looking at the screen from a certain angle you can see the cluster of messed up pixels. Any clues?

I lost the laptop box/papers but I still have the receipt, and its been under a year since I purchased it so I think its still under warranty in case I need to send it (Best Buy).

http://img840.images....0205135925.jpg

It's a Samsung R540

P.S It's kind of weird because the pixels are semi-transparent. I can see whatever is underneath them, just tinted green. It's not like a permanent 100% opaque spot, so I dont think its the transistors that are damaged but a glass layer or something?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

so I dont think its the transistors that are damaged

I do - the diodes (not transistors) actually. I doubt it is still under warranty but you can check. You can also connnect an external monitor just verify it is the notebook's monitor and not the graphics solution.