Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp crashed

• Please log in to reply

anobbee

anobbee

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
The volume on my hp mini went out, when attempted to restart it, I received an error message stating " windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem: insert the windows installation disk and restart your computer. Choose your language settings, then click next. Click repair your computer." I don't have a disk drive. Just a usb drive. Please help me. My assignment is due today.

Advertisements

anobbee

anobbee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Can someone please help me?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does the windows continue to load if you click a key?

anobbee

anobbee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No it won't load at all.

anobbee

anobbee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you for responding

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The issue seems to be the onboard audio is causing the issue.
Is your USB drive a flash drive or a optical drive?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
My colleague rshaffer61, will take the lead on this, but we quite often work together, so do not be concerned, that I have posted as well.

It might be worth a try on F8 as soon as the post screen closes and see if you have on advanced boot options
Last Known Good Configuration.

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature
To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:
  • Start your computer.
  • When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.
  • When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
  • If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.
Troubleshooting
  • With the Last Known Good Configuration feature, you can recover from configuration problems such as newly installed drivers that may be incorrect for your computer's hardware. It does not correct problems that are caused by missing or corrupted drivers or files.
  • The Last Known Good Configuration feature uses information that is saved from the last time that you shut down your computer to restore registry settings and drivers. Therefore, you can use this feature only if you were able to start your computer successfully before you restore your computer by using the last known good configuration.
  • After you start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, changes that were made since the last successful startup are lost.

NB

To fix the problem: insert the windows installation disk and restart your computer. Choose your language settings, then click next. Click repair your computer."

I realise you have said XP, but will you just confirm it is XP, as that message and especially "Repair your computer" just raises a doubt in my mind.

anobbee

anobbee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes I have xp home edition. It was included on the hp mini when I purchased it. When I press F8 it gives the error message. 1. Insert your windows installation disk and restart your computer. 2. Choose your language settings, and them click "next." 3. Click "repair your computer." Status: 0xc000000f info: the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

anobbee

anobbee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It will not let me bypass this screen.

anobbee

anobbee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Also, it does not mention restoring from the last known good configuration

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well it was worth a try, please answer the question from my colleague., post 6 refers.

The error boot selection failed etc leads me to suggest this
http://h10010.www1.h...product=1132551

BUT please answer the question above and wait for my colleague as I am now signing off until 2300hrs

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you know how to get to the screen that allows you to go into Safe Mode?

anobbee

anobbee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
@rschaffer.... it has a flash drive.

anobbee

anobbee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It will not allow me to access safe mode at all