Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows stops booting at "Windows XP" with scrolling blue dots

• Please log in to reply

craig66

craig66

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
My computer had a monitor go bad and we did not have another one so we did a hard shut down (Held the button in for 10 seconds). When we got a new monitor hooked up to it it boots until you get the Microsoft Windows XP screen with the blue DOTs scrolling near the bottom but does not go beyond this point. If we start it in Safe mode it scrolls a bunch of lines but then freezes up and does not continue. As far as we know, we did not have any problems before the screen died.

Any ideas?
Craig

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The likely cause is either the forced shut down or the fault was not the monitor per se but the graphics.

If this is the Dell computer do you have the operating system reinstallation disc. If so boot from that and see if you can get into recovery console
That is the first option for R Repair My Computer.

NOT the Enter to setup windows.
Here is how
  • Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD drive and restart your computer. If you are prompted, select any options required to start (boot) from the CD.
  • When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Select the repair or recover option by pressing R.
  • If you have a dual-boot or multiboot system, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted, type the Administrator password.
Also some OEM computers Dell etc, incorporated the recovery console on the F8 menu.

What is the make and FULL model of the computer please.

If your investigation reveals that you do not have the reocvery console and the system was preinstalled with a recovery partition, so you do not have the CD then use these links to make a recovery console CD

Recovery Console Disc Image
http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso

Here is the ISO burning program
http://sites.google....-console-for-xp

Using the links above make a recovery console CD, the second link is the special burning software to make a CD from an ISO image. It contains the instructions.

Post a reply please with the details requested and when if necessary you have made the CD

craig66

craig66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks for the response. I agree that it is probably the forced shut down. The monitor did not work at all. (No green or amber power light)

It is a Dell.

I tried to boot from the system CD.

It says to press any key to boot from CD. I did and it starts to boot.

Then it says to Press Enter to start Windows, R for Recover Console, or F3 to quit but at this point the keyboard is locked up. I rebooted several times (Hard shutdown holding in the power button) and even changed the keyboard to a different USB port but it always locks up.

craig66

craig66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Sorry it is a Dell Dimension 9150.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Do you have a PS2 keyboard or a USB to PS2 adaptor - worth a try. Or does that Dell only have USB ports for keyboard

Are you sure it says Enter to start Windows and not Enter to install Windows.

craig66

craig66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
It says "To set up Windows XP Now, Press Enter"

It only has USB ports for Keyboard.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I was just making sure that it did not say to START.

When the computer first boots usually there is a screen that displays the BIOS informaton etc and on there it will say to enter setup press - could be F2, delete etc.

You must press that key as soon as you see the message, try that and see if you can get into that screen.

Do you still by any chance have the manual for the computer.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above I am signing off it is 0205 here in UK

If you are familiar with the inside of the computer case try this.

IF YOU have NEVER even opened the case please WAIT until I or someone gives you more advice.

Unplug the computer and disconnect all devices.

Press and hold power button for 10 seconds to drain the capacitor to prevent electrical shock

Open the case and locate the 3 pin jumper block (located next to the 4 SATA harddrive connection points on the motherboard).

The jumper is blue and will be connected to two of the three pins on the motherboard.

Remove the jumper, then reconnect it back to it's original postion.
I HAVE found it for you - on this link CLEAR CMOS
http://support.dell....p.htm#wp1053729

IF YOU GO HERE you can open the manual and that will help

http://support.dell....v.htm#wp1053345

Goodnight back about 1800

NB YOU can ignore post 7 NOW I have found the details for you of how to reset CMOS .

After you have done that try again with the CD.

craig66

craig66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I have cleared the CMOS and attempted to reboot from the CD and still the keyboard locks up just before the screen that asks me to press R for Recovery Console.

0205 is Waaaay to late for me. But being in NJ USA I think that is 1805 here.
Again
Thanks for your help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I do NOT think it is this but go back into setup see if you have enable legacy usb support and try that.
F10 is normally save and exit in the setup.

Additionally did you look at the links I sent what are the beep codes and the diagnostic leds showing please
http://support.dell....t.htm#wp1054146

Advertisements

craig66

craig66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hockey game yesterday so did not get a chance to work on Computer.

Did not see anything about enable Legacy USB Support.

The keyboard locks up just as it says "Starting Windows" from the CD. (I can tell because I have tried turning the cap locks on and off as it boots and can see the light go on and off)

Once the keyboard locks up the light on the power button is solid green and all 4 of the numbered lights are off.

If I hit F2 to go into set up, the Numbered buttons 1,2 and 3 are green, 4 is off and the power button is solid green.

Ever since I reset the CMOS it says "Floppy Diskette Failure" and gives 2 short beeps as that comes up. But there are no other beeps or noises.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go back to setup
In boot device priority, make first boot device CD
second boot device Hard Drive.

Then try again from CD - without CD - F8 in Safe Mode.
disconnect all except monitor, keyboard and mouse.

DETAILS of which are on the link I sent for the DIAGNOSTIC lights
Another failure has occurred.

• Ensure that the cables are properly connected to the system board from the hard drive, CD drive, and DVD drive (see "System Board Components").
  • If there is an error message on your screen identifying a problem with a device (such as the floppy drive or hard drive), check the device to make sure it is functioning properly.
  • The operating system is attempting to boot from a device (such as the floppy drive or hard drive); check system setup to make sure the boot sequence is correct for the devices installed on your computer.
IF YOU have any knowledge of the inside of the computer do this
1. Check the cleanliness of the fans particularly the one on the CPU - SEE the link I sent
and the COOLING fins of the cpu below the fan.
DO NOT use anything METAL of course to dislodge any build up of dust and BE GENTLE
Cotton bud and VERY SOFT bristled brush are ideal.

DO NOT use the household vacuum cleaner hose anywhere near the componets inside the case.

If you touch any component, BEFORE DOING SO, take hold of the inside metal of the case with both hands.

2. See this please System Setup and check USB setting - although I am sure you will find it set ON
http://support.dell....p.htm#wp1043338
USB Controller

Set to On (default) so that USB devices will be detected and supported in the operating system.

3. WITH the side of the case open, reconnect and check when you power on that the fans are spinning. THEN check again WHEN that keyboard locks up - are they still spinning please.

craig66

craig66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Boot priority was already set to CD first and then hard drive.

Booting from CD or Safe Mode both result in keyboard locked up.

The diagnostic lights 1, 2 and 3 are ONLY on while I am in setup. As soon as I save and exit, they all go out. I checked all the internal cables anyway though.

Cleaned the inside of the CPU. It was not that dirty. I replaced the hard drive about 2 years ago and had cleaned it then.

USB setting was already on.

Both fans (CPU and Power Supply) spin up when the computer turns on and are still spinning when the keyboard locks up.

I also tried with a different keyboard. Got the same result.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Power on and as soon as the Dell Logo appears press F12
2. When the boot device list appears, highlight Boot to Utility Partition and press <Enter>.

3.When the Dell Diagnostics Main Menu appears if it does select Express Test - note the results

4. Select Extended Test.

If this does not work, in that you cannot even get to this, then make the CD I sent you the links for - the recovery console, there is a chance we may maintain a keyboard on that.

If that does not work, then you are looking at
1. I will send you another program which MAY allow you to recover your data - just in case we are looking at reinstalling.

OR you can do this

2. Here is the link

http://support.dell....om/WD722A03.pdf

that is the actual owners manual see page 93 - although the relevant section starts at page 68.
Remove the hard drive - place it in an enclosure or docking station, connect USB to another computer and see if you access the drive,in which case you can then simply copy your data to the other computers drive - By data I mean your personal files - documents, music, images.
The latter of course will require you to have an enclosure or docking station to connect the drive to the other computer.

UNLESS you are familiar with such matters I recommend the use of the other program I will send you.

THE PROBLEM may be ONLY file corruption on the HDD or the whole situation may be related to a more serious hardware problem.

We will not know until we make more progress to enable us to see if we can access that drive.

craig66

craig66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
After i got to - Boot to Utility Partition - I get "Utility Partition not available F1 to retry of F2 for Setup"
Retry does nothing but brings up the same message.
This is a replacement Hard drive that I put in so maybe it does not have a Utility Partition?

I have another CD from Dell that has Diagnostics on it. I booted from that CD and then chose 32 Bit Diagnostics, I have the options for Express Test and Extended Test here so I ran them but go no results. Everything seems to run fine.

Also, if I boot from the Diagnostic CD and do not run the the 32 Bit Diagnostic, it lets me choose, "Return to DOS prompt" and brings me to DOS and I can go to the C drive but it says that it is a RAM drive. Definitely not the hard disk.

Express test gave me the following error code
Error Code 0F00:1344
MSG: Block 6346441: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

Extended test gave no messages.

Made the cd per your link. booted from this CD but got the BSOD with the following message at the end
Technical Information
*** Stop: 0x0000007E(0xc0000005, 0xF786B0BF, )xF7CB7208, 0xF7CB6F08)
*** pcisys Address F786B0BF base at F7864000, Date Stamp 3b7d855c