Free help from tech experts
Welcome to Geeks to Go forums. Create an account now to gain access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. Best of all, registration and all assistance is 100% free! This message, and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Sign In Create Account

Windows stops booting at "Windows XP" with scrolling blue dots

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,233 posts
When you boot from the diagnostic CD the drive letters are changed and it creates a drive known as a ram drive. in this case C.
So that is not unexpected.
However the diagnostic Cd will NOT work, without the installation that was originally on the HDD from Dell

The error you have means that you will have to now proceed to this step and try and recover your data

http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

Follow the guide including using the porgram to burn the ISO image.
The download link for Puppy does not now go to 5.20 Lupo as a new edition has been established.

USE THIS LINK for the Puppy download.
http://distro.ibibli....2/lupu-520.iso

All the other instructions in the guide are the same.

OR you may proceed with the removal of the drive and its connection to another computer as on my previous post

Similar Topics: Windows stops booting at "Windows XP" with scrolling blue dots     x

craig66

craig66

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
pci.sys

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,233 posts
pci.sys ?

make Puppy, that runs in RAM if the hardware including the ram is good and the file system on the HDD is readable even if not to load windows it will still boot and allow you access

craig66

craig66

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I backed up everything to a second hard drive.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,233 posts
Using Puppy or how please?

craig66

craig66

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Using Puppy. I took a hard drive out of a different computer and installed it on the bad computer. Then mounted both hard drives and transfered the files.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,233 posts
The problem appears to be caused by the fact that your Dell CD and the recovery console CD that I sent the link for will not allow you access.

The reference to the PCI is probably a reference to your grpahics card or some other hardware you have inserted in a PCI slot.

If it is the graphics card it is unlikely that it has failed, as Puppy allowed you access.

If you have any cards except the graphics card in a PCI slot, for instance a sound card, rather than the onboard sound or a wireless adaptor card then take them out.

It may also be that the recovery console link I sent you may be better with a try on this one, download this please on another computer.

Please download ARCDC from
Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

It appears the memory is OK, if it is not Puppy will not usually run, as it does so in ram.

WHAT exactly please is the LABELLING on the CD`s you have from Dell.

Do you have one titled reinstallation CD.

craig66

craig66

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
One disk is labeled "Drivers and Utilities" it also says "Dell Resource CD" and under contents it says "Device Drives" and " Diagnostics and utilities"

The other disk is labeled "Operating System" it also says "Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Including Service Pack 1a"

Both of these disks were sent to me after I had to replace the hard drive. Dell did not give me any disks when I bought the computer.

There is only one PCI card and that is the video card.

Since I have Windows XP Home edition, when I get the 6 choices in ARCDC should I choose that instead of Professional?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,233 posts
Now I know what discs you have we are making progress.

I suspect the reason for the error is that Windows XP with SP1 is not that good at recognising PCIe cards - your graphics,. in other than the clean install situation.

However you must appreciate that I am reaching any conclusion ONLY of course from a small degree of knowledge and what you tell me. As I do not have the benefit of being able to test with the computer actually in fromt of me.

IF the graphics card was damaged I would NOT have expected Puppy to load, as you have NO onboard graphics on that computer, as if you did there would be a connection for the graphics on the main I/O plate that is on your computer top right of the rear. eg where the LAN and speaker connects.

Your graphics connect further down towards the lower half of the case.

You have two choices, you can try the new RC I have sent, choose Home SP2 and 3 if it is available.
If we can get in, we MAY stand a chance.

OR you can grab the bull by the horns, format and reinstall from the CD.

Personally I would for the little extra effort try the new RC first., as of course if you reinstall you willl lose all your programs, other than those you have the reinstallation media for.

Finally although the error tends to suugest that is the cause, it could be other issues.

craig66

craig66

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
There is no on board graphics.

I down loaded the other ARCDC and it gets through without locking up the keyboard but when I press R for recovery console it says that no hard disk was detected.

I rebooted and hit F12 and choose "Hard Drive Diagnostics"

When it is done it says "Fail:Return Code : 7" (Is the hard drive just bad?)

I would be willing to try to reformat the HD but so far except for the Puppy program, nothing else even lets me get to the hard drive. How would I reformat it?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,233 posts

There is no on board graphics.

I know, as I had a look at your computer on the Dell site

as you have NO onboard graphics on that computer

I have just quickly read through the thread again.
I cannot find it, but if I have missed it I apologise, what make is the hard drive please.

Code 7 on the Dell diagnostics does not always mean that the HDD has failed
It clearly has not FAILED in the normal sense of the word otherwise you would not have been able to access your data with Puppy.
When you tell me the make we may make further progress.

craig66

craig66

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
It is a Western Digital WD3200AAKS

craig66

craig66

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Oh and sorry about the graphics answer. I couldn't figure out why you were telling me what I have so I figured you wanted me to confirm it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,233 posts
My fault should have explained more.
I was enlarging on why we could not do anything with the grpahics as you did not have onboard graphics

If you had we could have used those in case it is a graphics error that is topping windows recovery console seeing the drive.

As it is WD download this it is bootable, and check the drive on both tests please
You want the one for Dos, as the other loads through windows.

As you do not have a floppy drive you will need to make the CD
http://support.wdc.c...&sid=30&lang=en

That is the best test for that drive as it is WD own test.

It is a sata drive, so when you have tested it and depending on how it registers errors, it may be worthwhile going into BIOS and changing stat mode to IDE mode and seeing if you can then get a boot to the recovery console.

If that fails IF you can take that hard drive OUT of the Dell and put it in another computer (or in an enclosure) running Windows and then run a chkdsk /r on the drive and return it to this computer and try a normal boot we may just strike lucky.

craig66

craig66

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I downloaded the file but don't know how to make it bootable on a CD.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured