Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows stops booting at "Windows XP" with scrolling blue dots

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
From the instructions
  • Download the Diag504fCD.zip or Diag504fCD.iso file to your desktop.
  • Extract the Diag504fCD.zip file to your desktop with a file extraction utility. (Alternately you have the option to download the iso version of the file which does not require extraction with a zip utility).
  • You will see a new file named Diag504fCD.iso on your desktop.
  • You must use a CD burning program (such as Nero Burning Rom or EZ-CD Creator) to burn a CD from the .ISO image.
  • You can now boot the computer to the diagnostics CD. Make sure your boot order in your BIOS is set to boot to the CD-ROM drive first.
Re 4 use the ISO program you used for Puppy

Advertisements

craig66

craig66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
OK Sorry. I did not scroll down far enough on the WD site and I downloaded an executable (.exe) diagnostic program. I had not seen the ISO. Got it now though. I ran the quick test and it cam up with a read failure. Error 7. It is now running the extended test. I'll let you know.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am signing off it is 0214 and as you know by now I will be back about 1800

After this test if it is still the 7 error, I would do as I suggested in my previous post.

I think the best bet is a chkdsk /r with the drive in another Windows computer or connected USB in an enclosure.
Check the drive letter allocated in My Computer
That would be
Start (Windows button) if Vista or 7
run if Xp or in the search bar if Vista or 7
type
cmd
When the window opens
type
cd/
that should get you to a C: prompt
then type the drive letter found earlier eg E: key enter
type
dir

check you have access.
then type
chkdsk /r
key enter

OR if you prefer you can go My Computer, right click the drive, click Properties, click tools, click check NOW on Error checking, click to check both boxes, the top one will already be checked, click start
and follow instructions.
DO NOT interrupt the check it is a five stage check.

craig66

craig66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
After extended test it says:

Unable to correct errors found - please contact technical support Error/Status Code 0226

and if I go into results it also says:

Section Relocation Error

I will try to change to IDE mode tomorrow and then try to move it into another computer.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It is not good news

Sector Relocation Error
Failure to relocate a sector during drive repair.
The drive has to be replaced.

What it means in essence is that when the drive is checked any errors found in a bad sector, are if possible rewritten to a good sector and in your case THIS could not be achieved.

A sector is for this purpose 512 bytes.
I suspect that when you run chkdsk /r it will either NOT even run, or it will report a large number of bad sectors.

HOWEVER I would still run it, as I have occasionally known it to recover, sufficiently for you to come away from this with only the cost of a new hard drive., as against the loss of all your installed programs.

craig66

craig66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I Could not find anywhere in BIOS to change from SATA to IDE so I skipped that.

I put the hard drive in another computer and ran chkdsk /r on it and it hung up in step one of 5 at 25% done. Left it there for about 1 1/2 hours and never got any further.

I guess it looks like I need a new hard drive.

I appreciate all your help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well it is of no consequence re the IDE, that was only if you managed to get a chkdsk on it.

It is I think a lost cause, but if you want to try it, you can format it using that WD utility I sent you before and see if it will accept an install ON the original computer of course not the one that you have it connected to now.

The reason I suggest that is, that there is nothing lost, as you can always iinstall again to the new drive if you do have to buy one.

craig66

craig66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I did not notice a format option in that utility. I did see write all zeros to disk. I'll switch the drives back and check.

craig66

craig66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
There is no format option on the WD disk.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

WRITE ZEROS TO DRIVE - The Write Zeros option, wipes any and all data off your drive. This option used when your data is no longer usable or recoverable. If you no longer need any data from your drive and would like to start over, run this option to set your drive to an as new condition. NOTE: Please make sure that you have selected the correct drive to perform this function on as once ran, no data will be recoverable.

Advertisements

craig66

craig66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I had a computer at work with a second hard drive that I only use for backup, so I brought that HD home and put it in the bad computer and got all the same messages using the Boot CDs. This is with the original HD completely disconnected from the computer.

1. Dell disks still lock up my keyboard.
2. One of the boot disks I made from your links still brings me to BSOD
3. The other boot disk I made from your links still allows me to press R for recovery but then says it can not find the hard drive.

I can not boot to this HD. Pretty sure I deleted most of windows from it because it was only for backup and wanted extra space.

Is it possible that it is the HD controller? Not sure if that is what they call it, but it is inegral to the motherboard. I would assume that means new computer???

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If you know by now the inside of the computer, try taking out one stick of ram, there are at each end of the stick, two small white (usually) lever clips, you push them gently away from the end of the stick and the stick will release.

DO NOT touch the components on the actual stick and ground yourself first by getting hold of the inside of the bear metal case with both hands.

If there are two ram slots take out the stick furthest away from the processor and try.
If no good, take out the other one and replace with the one first removed.

To insert the ram you check the spacing on the slots to the spacing on the stick, if you look before you actually remove the stick completely you will see what I mean, with the break in the connections of the stick where it is slotted.

You then place it in the slot and gently push down evenly along its top edge., then ensuring that the two clips have located in the cut-out on the edges at each end of ther stick.

If you examine the motherboard manual all will become clear.
http://support.dell....s.htm#wp1073631

Is it possible that it is the HD controller? Not sure if that is what they call it, but it is inegral to the motherboard. I would assume that means new computer???

Not unless it is a transient defect as if it was you could not have used Puppy.
It could still be and it is a rather large COULD be ram as puppy will run with the minimum ram.

You would not get a result with the boot Cds as there is no windows operating system on it., depending n what you mean by the boot CD`s. If you include in those the reistallation CD then
It MAYBE your DVD/CD burner - player.

craig66

craig66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Pulled the ram stick the furthest from the CPU and everything worked the same. Put the pulled ram into the other slot and still worked the same.

Also, I have 2 CD drives in this computer so I tried using the second one, but it appears that it will only boot from the first one. So I switched the cables to make the second one the first one and still got the same result.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You need to take this a little more slowly I think.

There is no need to change the cables, indeed you should not do so.

Go into the boot menu or into BIOS setup,

As I explained the boot menu is for that boot only.
The BIOS boot priority with Save and exit is permanent.

The computer if you have a bootable disc in the drive should boot from either optical drive.
Providing of course that you have made CD`s and NOT DVD`s and are then trying to boot a computer from a DVD in a CD drive.

What is the reinstallation media. - a CD I presume.
Are the ones you have made all CD`s.

Use the optical drive that you used when you ran Puppy.
Insert that CD and boot from that.
Does that still work.

I have just read most of the thread again.
It booted from Puppy and the keyboard worked. and the mouse as you must have used that in Puppy.

It ran the WD Disk check program.

Both Cd`s

It is either a transient defect, that only occurs under certain conditions. This is NOT unknown. It may be a fault on the power supply - the PSU in the computer.
Or it may indeed be a motherboard fault.

Where DO you NOW have the HARD drive you brought from work with you connected.
Is it a SATA drive the same as the one in the computer OR is it a PATA drive that is with the borad IDE cable as against the narrow and usually red but not always SATA cable with the totally different looking connectors.

If it is SATA install it exactly where the one was connected that failed both the WD test and the test from the Dell CD.

If it is IDE , it may well be that it is jumpered incorrectly for this computer.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
craig66

It is now some 9 days since your last post on your thread
How is the matter now standing please.
Are you still working on this issue.
Please update your topic when you get chance