Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire laptop diagnose fault

• Please log in to reply

Bigby

Bigby

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Acer Aspire 7551 laptop that I need to diagnose the fault for.

It powers on, as the power indicator lights up and I can hear the fan spin up. The DVD drive also spins up the disc that is inserted.

However, nothing is displayed on the led screen, no post at startup...nothing.

I have tried to connect an external monitor via the VGA and HDMI connections, but I stil get nothing displayed. To enable the secondary monitor I have to press the "fn" key plus the F5 key. Now I'm thinking that the keyboard is faulty aswell. I assumed that I would not need to press these keys when HDMI is used ? (only for VGA ?)

I tried connecting a mouse and keyboard, but I don't get no red light from the optical mouse (may need a driver) or any light on a USB keyboard when numlock or caps lock is pressed.

So, I am unsure on if it is indeed the motherboard or the led display that needs replacing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PS: I managed to connect the laptop's hard drive to my desktop pc, and all files have been backed up. So the hard drive is working.

Edited by Bigby, 07 February 2012 - 09:16 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

There are a number of main possibilities

1. An internal power fault.
Not delivering the correct power supply to the motherboard and/or the hard drive.

2. A motherboard fault

It is as you have established unlikely to be a inverter problem, that is what displays the image on the laptop screen as you have tried an external monitor.

I would recommend the following.
1. Disconnect the power and battery
2. HOLD down the power button for a full 20 seconds
3. Reconnect AC power only - this covers the possibility of a faulty battery
4. Try again.

Is there any known history to this fault before THIS particular fault appeared eg. blue screen of death, failing to boot initially but then doing so on the second attempt.
Failing to shut down
Repeated chkdsk automatically occurring on booting.

Bigby

Bigby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

I did what you suggested and powered on without the battery inserted...no change.

What I did not mention was that the laptop was stepped on... the laptop isn't mine. I told them to get another laptop, but they insist I attempt to repair it. I have previously replaced a laptop screen, and other minor parts.

If it is indeed the motherboard, I have only found ebay that sells it at a reasonable price. Are there any other places I can find this part at a decent price ?

I'm thinking the laptop keyboard is at fault too. Would it be wise to replace that first ?

I could then see if pressing the FN+F5 key actually works. (or would this be pointless as, if the mobo is at fault, the new keyboard may not function still ?)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

What I did not mention was that the laptop was stepped on

Well that is sort of an important fact.
My diagnosis - a waste of time - that is NOT to be sarcastic
Who can possibly know what the damage is

My guess is that it is the keyboard but replacement of suspected parts could be a very costly exercise.
If the laptop keyboard is damaged and a key is stuck, then connecting an external keyboard will do nothing.

It is certainly NOT a fault that can be diagnosed by the medium of online help.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Bigby ... :wave: ..:welcome:

for the future ...please include any pertinent info you have....that way we don't waste time in replying when the problems cause is/should be known... ;)

Bigby

Bigby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I know, sorry about that... duely noted.

Now I have to convince my sister to give up on the idea of having it repaired and just buy another, possibly a shiny new tablet. She won't listen though... :surrender: :D

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...you have to make her think its her idea...not yours...
good luck... :thumbsup: