Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2007 Macbook Pro needs diagnosis

• Please log in to reply

GB_Live

GB_Live

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a 2007 Macbook Pro running version 10.6.8 ... the exterior of the laptop has taken physical damage to the point where the screen is cracked and will not work unless its plugged in, however i have it connected to my TV with a VGA cable. If im only running one consuming program at a time there are rarely any issues, but if I open i tunes and stream a video online the pinwheel with appear until i eventually have to force quit.
even just trying to open garage band or using Word and Excel will force me to end all tasks and be unable to save. I have tried all of the solutions from other forums and still had no luck.

So far I've tried:
- downloading "istat pro" and it says the fan works, and there is 75 Free GB on the disc
- running a couple different free virus detecting programs
- creating an alternate log in account
- "Verifying the disk"
- deleting unused music/videos to free up space
- downloading the latest updates

I would have tried using time machine but i dont have a backup saved.
and I lost my Mac OS installation cd (woops)

anyone else ever had this problem or know a way to get it running like it used to?

Advertisements

NKGuy

NKGuy

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Can you explain how the Macbook received physical damage? A fall or something?

Bobbi Flekman

Bobbi Flekman

The Computer Whisperer

• Expert
  • 3,761 posts
  • MVP
And, eh... maybe a dumb question, but eh.... ever thought to take it to Apple for repairs? I know.... It's a crazy idea, but it might just help.

NKGuy

NKGuy

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

And, eh... maybe a dumb question, but eh.... ever thought to take it to Apple for repairs? I know.... It's a crazy idea, but it might just help.

That is a good idea, but this is Apple. When it comes down to price it will probably be an arm and a leg.