Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

why does restarting stop my computer from freezing?

• Please log in to reply

tonyboy9

tonyboy9

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
hi, i've been trying to find a similar issue online but to no avail. every time i power my pc i have to remember to restart within 5-10 minutes or it freezes completely. as long as i remember (when the computer has been shut down for a few hours) to restart then it works fine. any ideas? my system specifics are: Windows vista home premium, Acer SA90 Genuine Intel® 2160 @ 1.80 Ghz, memory = 2GB, 32-bit OS

i've increased the ram from 1 to 2GB, tried system restores, regularly remove malware and adware, changed virus protection, and updated the drivers.

my suspicion is that it's a caused by a few corrupted files that i can't repair as i've no recovery disc but i'm unsure as the pc works very well most of the time. any pointers would be greatly appreciated! attached is my hijack this log, if that helps at all.

Attached File  hijackthis.log   7.98KB   96 downloads

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Since you said you have no Vista Install disc, have you created the recovery discs for this computer? It should be an option off the Start Menu somewhere.

It may also have a Recovery partition on the hard drive that you can use to rstore the computer to factory new state. What is the make and model number of the computer?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

regularly remove malware...

What does that mean? Are your scans frequently finding malware?

There really should not be any difference in Windows files between a restart and a cold-boot from off. So I would suspect it is something else you are running that tries to run or get updated when the system has been off-line for a longer period of time.

You say you changed virus protection. From what to what? I see both Avira and Avast services are installed. I would uninstall both and try Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). I also see several toolbars and also Regtweaker and TuneUpUtilities. Multiple toolbars can cause issues and I would uninstall Regtweaker and TuneUpUtilities - or at least ensure they (and their services) don't start with Windows.