Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

erase data and restore defaults

• Please log in to reply

JhOnNyBg00d

JhOnNyBg00d

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Dell 1525, with windows XP professional, version 2002, service pack 3, i was wondering what could happen if i format the hard drive and also how to restore all to default without the cd.. cause i dont have it, i want to sell the laptop but i want it clean and all my info removed.. anyy tips hpw to do it.. ?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,011 posts
:welcome: JhOnNyBg00d

i was wondering what could happen if i format the hard drive

To the average user all data will be inaccessible.

and also how to restore all to default without the cd..

Without an installation disk you cannot.

i want to sell the laptop but i want it clean and all my info removed..

To wipe the HDD use http://www.dban.org/ and consider using an alternative OS to a Microsoft product, Mandriva/Linux http://www.mandriva.com/en/ for example.

JhOnNyBg00d

JhOnNyBg00d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Definitely the answer I needed..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the laptop did not come with any disks then you may have a recovery partition on the drive. Try the below to check and see. This will put the system back to factory default settings and effectively erase any data on the hard drive.

Dell:

The key combination is CRTL + F11 pushing the keys at the same time at the the dell screen during post. Once you push them then you want to release them.
It should go into the recovery partition so you can do a system restore.