Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Forgot the Password?

• Please log in to reply

suizome

suizome

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop, and I just downloaded Linux Mint for the firstime and I forgot the password on it. Is there a way I can change it manually without requiring the original password?

PS The Firmware for the internet hasn't been downloaded it, so it can't be accessed via internet.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

I apologise for the fact that your post has been missed. This occasionally happens due to the vast number of posts on the site.

If you have only just downloaded it and as it is free, simply just reinstall.

As all the software is free you will not be concerned about reinstalling that, so the only aspect you have are any personal files on the installation.

There are ways to reset the password, without knowing the current password.

However, although we usually apply the rule to Windows operating systems. One of the rules of GeekstoGo

Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any user passwords, cd keys, license codes, serial numbers, etc.

and as the situation, applies to whatever operating system is being used, I regret that we can offer no further help.

That said, the general Linux forums on the web are not lacking in advice on this issue.