Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot run OTL.exe file as part of malware removal?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

boylem

boylem

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Am new to this forum so please excuse if below description is not very technical.

Using AVG free Anti virus 2012 it picked up a malware infection on my pc yesterday (Listed as Trojan Horse Generic27.ks in the resident shield detection list)

Panicked!

So I downloaded MS Safety Scanner which apparently removed two trojans (Win32/Acbot.A and Win32/Imsproad.A) and advised scan was successful.

Rescanning with AVG no threats were detected.

However PC has been operating slowly (especially internet speed) and it seems as if something is running in background.

So looking online I found geekstogo.com malware removal guide.

Problem is I now cannot seem to run any .exe files including the OTL.exe. I suspect this is as a result of malware infections.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Hi there boylem!

I'm sorry for this reply being so late in coming; we're rather busy here. :)

To answer your immediate question concerning getting OTL to run, please check back at the malware removal guide, especially where it links to OTL.com and OTL.scr, and a link to use if you still can't get OTL to run.

If those things don't result in OTL.txt and Extras.txt files for you to post, please let me know and we'll move forward from there.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have a open topic in the malware forum located HERE. Please direct all posts to that topic as this topic will be closed.