Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD after fresh XP install

• Please log in to reply

HardMaple72

HardMaple72

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Generally I'm pretty good with these things, but this one just keeps getting worse:

Working on an eMachines W6409 for wife's coworker (PC1). When it came to me, the USB keyboard and mouse did not work so I could not log on to any of their accounts. I removed the BIOS battery for several minutes (like 20-30), but it did not help. After various different attempts, I removed the HDD and slaved it into another computer I have (PC2). From there I ran a virus scan and clean, 53 infiltrations. Plug it back into PC1, didn't help. Internet searches didn't help. So I slaved it back into PC2 and formatted it for fresh install. Returned it to PC1, but still no USB keyboard (the light under the mouse was on). Got PS/2 adapters for both, still didn't work. Put HDD back in PC2 as solo drive (yes I moved the jumpers as required), but couldn't get it to read XP Media disc. Realized after a lot of confusion and swapping that PC2 had CD drive and disc was DVD (duh!). Connected DVD drive from PC1 to PC2, installed XP Media SP2. When connected to PC2 (surrogate computer), it loads and runs fine. When I remove the HDD and install to PC1 (original computer) I get a BSOD 0x0000007B. So I put it back in PC2, ran all the updates, then put it back into PC1 and got BSOD again.

So um, please help.

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
You need to format the harddrive,and reinstall windows with it in the PC1 computer the way you did it will not work because of the drivers.When you format a HDD it will load the drivers for that particular machine.Although I believe a repair install from PC1 would do just fine. :)
http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

Edited by rockmilk, 10 February 2012 - 01:18 PM.

HardMaple72

HardMaple72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Won't work because the keyboard won't work on PC1, even in Windows Setup.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Are you able to get into the bios,at all?

HardMaple72

HardMaple72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Nope. No keyboard from pushing the power button to bsod.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Have you tried to power up pc1 without the hardrive and get to the bios that way?

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
If you can get into the bios via the above method you need to enable usb keyboard. :)

Edited by rockmilk, 10 February 2012 - 01:38 PM.

HardMaple72

HardMaple72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Just tried, with the usb keyboard I get to no bootable device. With ps2 adapter it just hangs at the bios splash screen.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
http://pcsupport.abo.../accessbios.htm

I am assuming you tried the above with the HDD out.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
I will ask a member of the tech staff here to take a look at your issue be patient some one with a bit more experience on these issues will be with you shortly. :)

Advertisements

HardMaple72

HardMaple72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes. And thank you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Drivers are wrong so probably won't boot anyway even with kb and mouse.
The motherboard seems to be defective with kb and mouse connections.

HardMaple72

HardMaple72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I am strongly favoring the motherboard too, but I have limited experience troubleshooting them.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried different kb's and mice with the same result? If so then the possibility of mobo being the issue is more then likely.

HardMaple72

HardMaple72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have used the kb and mouse with both pc1 and pc2. They work fine on pc2.