Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Someone Using My IP Address

• Please log in to reply

megh

megh

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've been informed by someone investigating for a person who's being harrassed on the net that MY IP address is one of a couple that came up on the person's facebook, email and a forum. I've checked out the person who's being harassed so it's not someone just trying to scam me or scare me. I'm not computer illiterate so I'm pretty sure my pc isn't being hacked, etc but I'm not very up to date on the net. I use a 2Wire wireless router on AT&T DSL service that I unplug at night but leave on during the day.

If anyone can tell me how this is possible, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thank you very much!

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

IP address is one of a couple that came up

Do you have your own IP address or is it your ISPs IP adress ??

Regards -

megh

megh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm pretty sure it's the ISPs IP address. I've read up on how ISPs change your IP add but mine hasn't changed for the month+ since I was told about this. I check it every day now.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi -
Sorry, but unless your name or actual contact name appears, this could be almost any AT&T customer from your region - -

There could be thousands of individual people that use this IP address, and you are just one of them.
If you get any more detailed information we may be able to help/ guide you with this.

Or if you are still worried, please contact AT&T with your details to see if they also express concerns about this-

Thank You -

megh

megh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I called ATT this morning and they told me I do not have a static IP and as you stated, it could of been one of 1000s of customers. Since I know it's not ME, as far as I'm concerned, it's their problem not mine.

Thank you SO much for your help! :)

silohh

silohh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all! This is my first post. I'm living in Italy and using a USB dongle to connect to the internet - it's from a service provider called TIM which is also a phone operator (like Verizon, AT&T etc.)

Last month my paypal got hacked and 300 usd was transferred to someone in Pakistan - luckily I got it back. I changed all my passwords etc and everything seems ok now (I hope).

I was using Wikipedia just now and it said I had new messages - I've never registered with Wiki - and it showed the most recent changes and they were to Bollywood and Pakistani films and personalities pages. It showed my IP address.

Is it possible that these are related, should I be worried, or is it all just a bizarre coincidence?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)