Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PSU causing PC to randomly shutdown

• Please log in to reply

mcmah2b0

mcmah2b0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I have tried that before: unplugging everything but the mb from the psu (dvd drive and hdd) and powered on - same result, shuts off.

Haven't changed any bios settings - stock tower

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Just keep the computer running in the BIOS, find the hardware page where it shows voltages and temperatures, keep an eye on temps. Let me know what the temp is reading right before it shuts off.

mcmah2b0

mcmah2b0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I looked all over the bios and couldn't find a health monitor/sensor anywhere. And the computer won't stay on long enough to download a program like everest

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Are you able to swap in a known good PSU for testing purposes? See if you can bother someone and borrow it (family, friends, neighbours). That should help you pinpoint the issue.

As long as it has all the right connections it will work fine. Obviously if you can help it, try and get one that has similar or better specs (Watts, Amps, etc).

mcmah2b0

mcmah2b0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I'm returning the PSU for a new one, should take a week or more. I'll let you all know as soon as I try the new one