Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trojanhorse startpage 19.an and j [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hi

Well i did what u asked and it loaded ok still came up with this.

set path c=windows:/system wrem/windowsc/windows command c
c>

But this tme it went straight into windows and loaded all the programs up that should be on there.

Like before when i had the virus things it came up with the following

Box with MAD

has performed an illegal operation and will close down etc

Clicked on close and nothing happened.

When i tried to change the settings in display to alter the colours and restarted the computer the warning of

set path c=windows:/system wrem/windowsc/windows command c
c>
did not come up

Mad illegal came up. then another time i rebooted the computer the mad box was changed to Movidirect has performed illigel op.

Question: What should the colour be set on for windows 98se is it 16bit 24 bit 32 bit or 256 or 16 colours i cant remember.

i think now we have got it back to the mode that we were in when i was having all the probs with the trojan startpage allthough as i have unistalled agv because it was stopping me getting on at the start i will have to re-install when i get back on line.

Many thanks
Shell

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
shell38,
bananafanafo is unavailable at this time and asked me to reply. I will attempt to help you resolve the autoexec issues.

the 'path' variable appears to be corrupted. we will look at the environment variables, then we will look at all of your autoexec files. ready?

let's look at your environment variables first. important - we are not doing any editing, yet, so make sure to do the cancel edit step below.

Start>Control Panel>System>Advanced>Environment Variables
select Path
control-c
cancel edit
close Environment Variables, System Properties, Control Panel

open notepad
control-v
insert floppy disk
save as a:\pathvar072705.txt

please post the contents of pathvar072705.txt

bdlt(aka john)

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
hi

Thanks for gettting back to me, but unfortunatly i can not seem to do what u are asking. on the computer that i am having trouble i am running windows 98se but i went into system and did not have the heading advance. On this computer which i am running xp i could see what u wanted me to do.

So did u think i was running xp on the computer that was having problems if this is the case can u please explain how to do it in windows 98.

Also the other question i was unsure about is u say once i gone into it cancel edit then close, then open note pad what did u mean by control-v. im sorry im very new to all this and wondered if u could explain bit clearer for me so sorry to worry u.

many thanks

The other thing that the old computer is not yet connected to the internet. im waiting for the ok to install the network card so i can wireless it up to my other computers. As it makes things hard for me as my new computer does not have a flopy drive and i have to save it from flopy to a disk and it wastes so many disks with just so little information. If i could connect it up to the internet i could do it all from one computer (the one with the problems)

once again many thanks

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
sorry - my mistake.

please open a dos window and type path

Start>Run
command
path

please post the result

regarding control-c and control-v:
there is a key labeled Ctrl
to copy text, highlight it, hold down the Ctrl key then press c
to paste that text, left click the new file in the text area, hold down the Ctrl key then press v

the conventional reference would have been ctrl-c and ctrl-v

Edited by bdlt, 27 July 2005 - 02:01 PM.

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
ok thanks so lets just make sure im doing this right

I go into windows normal mode (not sure wat u mean by dos sorry i am a woman after all laffs)

i go to start then run then type in path then copy paste to note pad and save it on a floppy as \pathvar072705.txt

Is this wat you mean

Shell

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
ignore the xp steps.

here are the only win98 steps:

Start>Run
command
path

please post the results

to explain further
enter command into the text box that pops up after Run is selected
enter path into the dos window that pops up

we are not saving any files here

Edited by bdlt, 27 July 2005 - 02:36 PM.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
I have to leave for work soon, so here are the initial steps for the autoexec investigation:

right click Start>Explore>c:
select autoexec.bat
left click Name(to sort by name)
scroll up/down until all autoexec.xxx files are listed

post the names and dates of the 3 latest versions

why are we doing this? we want to find the last good version of autoexec and revert back to that version.

if possible, try to remember the approximate date that your PC was modified. in other words, your PC was fine until some program was added(or some other event - my nephew used it, ...). this will help selecting the appropriate autoexec version.

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
right ok here we go

but before i post the contents, let me just add that im not so sure there is a problem with it now. just to recapture the probs been having.

It would not shut down or start up after i had trouble with the trojan horse start page virus. then i got message that windows had not finished starting and the set path c: windows\system\wbem; c:\windows\command
c> coming up with it then it would go on to give me options to normal, safe mode etc. but everytime i clicked to go into normal mode it would just start up in safe mode.
that was until i did the misconfig and ran it in system.ini only then it would start up in normal mode but with only just windows prog working. then now i have gone back in to misconfig and put it back into normal start up mode, it now starts up with no options going straight up into normal with all the programs i had there for internet ie msn, broadband medic.
The start up does run a black page with white writing on saying about boot up and floppy as it should and right on the bottom is the path=c;\windows\ system\wbem;c:\windows\command. but as i said this just goes straight up in to normal windows from there.

At the moment rather than restart when u get the options i choose shut down then restart computer that way but i will have to try see if i can restart option, because this was one of the things it would not do.

right enough of my talking just thought i would sum wat happened and wat is happening now up.

Here is what u asked for:

Microsoft® Windows 98
© copyright Microsoft corp 1981-1999

C:\WINDOWS\Destktop>path

Path=C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WBEM;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>

hope this is of some help

Many thanks
Shell

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
thank you for the path info. it looks fine.

to clarify - there are no apparent boot errors/abnormalities with a normal boot, right? is everything running as it used to(prior to having problems)?

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hi sorry i did not see your other message till today do u still want me to do the other thing that u asked me to do.

Yes the boot seems to be back to where it was. Im still getting this illegal operation with either MAD or Movie Directory it changes from time to time the heading i click ok and nothing seems to happen but why this does i do not no.

if u think it is ok to do so shall i go a head and install the network card and see what happens when i restart using the internet.

Many thanks for everything u are all doing for me, im a single parent who is trying to keep her kids happy and now the holidays and wet weather is here it might make things easier if things on the old pc front start getting back to normal laffs

Shell

Advertisements

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Shell - go ahead and install the network card, it may be easier to help if you are able to access the Internet, but you need to make sure you have some kind of protection programs installed otherwise your system will just get more infected than it is now.

Do you know what the MAD or Movie DIrectory is? Do you use it?

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
thanks will do at least we will be able to see what happens.

No i do not have a clue what mad is. i have heard of moviedirectory but as far as i know nothing like this is installed on my computer.

as soon as go back on line i am gonna set up agv and make sure my adware prog is running fine. So fingers crossed

Do i need to keep all the progs that i download to help me with the trojan as i will try to clear off as much of my stuff on there as poss.

The other thing is what is the colour display set for windows 98

is it 16 colour
256 colour
24bit
24true
32 true

Think the options were something like this.

once again many thanks for everything lets hope apart from this illegal op that i still dont have these [bleep] trojan horses on my computer....... still only one way to find out that is get back up on line

Oh yes when i first joined this they gave me the full settings for agv to make sure each box was checked or unchecked do u no where i can check these settings again as i have to re-install agv

thanks
Shell

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
On my ME system I have it set at 32. If 32 is an option, then it's the best color setting to use otherwise use 24.

The trojans are definitely still on your computer as we have not been able to finish removing them yet...

I'm not sure what settings you're talking about for AVG?

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
first of all i ment for windows 98 the colour setting or does it nt make difference.

agv when i installed it detected the trojan on start up but when i did a full scan it would never show it and it would just keep popping up everytime i clicked on a web page. or if i did a full scan it would never show that i had a trojan. but when i changed the settings in agv it corrected this and then when i did the scan it showed up and i could heal it straight away. somwhere on here i got the settings but i can not seem to find them.

thanks
shell

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts

first of all i ment for windows 98 the colour setting or does it nt make difference.

I know what you meant and I answered you. If 32 bit is an option - use it. No, it does not matter, but the lower setting you use the uglier the colors will get :tazz:

Don't worry about the AVG settings because there is a program that I will need you to download to finish off the startpage trojans. Can you get online yet?