Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install java

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Ztrucker and he is one of the ones who contributed to our sister sites instructions. Please let us know if his instructions did the trick. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

jp17315

jp17315

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I disabled windows firewall downloaded the offline file for jre 6u30. double clicked the java icon on the desktop clicked install java and then I get the same error message. Oh by the way I tried the java msi fix tool and it went all the way through and said there was nothing to fix - thought you should know that but I guess it didn't help.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
See if the Windows Installer Service is started and set to Automatic.
  • Press Window key + R, type services.msc and hit Enter.
  • Scroll down to Windows Installer service.
  • Set it to “Automatic” and start the service if it is stopped.
  • Reboot your computer and try the Java install again.
Another possibility here: "The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" error message when you install a program in Windows XP

Yet another possibility is your user account is corrupted somehow. Try creating a new Administrator level account then try the download and install again. Do both the download and install, not just the install.

If that works then you have a choice of keeping the original account or copying everything from the old account to the new account.

Here are instructions on creating a new account then copying data from the old to the new:

follow these directions posted in GeeksToGo.com

• Boot to Safe Mode, login as Administrator
  • Show all files by opening My Computer, Tools menu, View tab, check Show Hidden Files/Folders then uncheck Hide extensions for known filetypes and Hide protected operating system files [Recommended]. Click Apply then OK.
  • Create a new Administrator level account via Control Panel / User Accounts.. Pick a good name as you may be keeping it.
  • Reboot the computer.
  • Login with the new account.
From the new account do the download and install of Java.

• Boot to Safe Mode, login as Administrator
  • Browse to c:\documents and settings\OldUserAccount
  • Select everything in that folder, including sub folders, except the three files called ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log, and ntuser.ini.
  • Copy all those files into c:\documents and settings\NewUserAccount. Reply Yes or Yes to all when duplicate folders or files are found.
  • Reboot the computer and login with your New user account.
Once you confirm that all your documents are located in My Documents of the New user and everything works okay, you can delete the old account.

I'm finding these possibilities by looking at the results of a Google search for: java install The installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it. Or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks ztrucker and I am learning a few things here also. Java is so much fun lately. :thumbsup:

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Lots of people seem to be having problems with Java lately, wonder what's going on?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Boot to Safe Mode with Networking (via F8 at boot), see if it works there. If not, take a look at your hosts file, see if it has a redirect for the site.

Open an Elevated Command Prompt and enter the following:

cd \windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -r hosts
notepad hosts
attrib +r hosts

jp17315

jp17315

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
YEAH!!!!!!!!

Finally got java installed!!!!

Corrupt admin account. Thanks rshaffer61 and ztrucker!! I knew you guys would get this fixed! This is the first time I ever had a problem like this. You people at geekstogo ROCK!!!

Now all I have to do is copy the folders and files from the old user account to the new user account.

Thanks so much for all your help!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed Ztrucker and myself to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :thumbsup: :ph34r:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible