Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HPE-500y Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium restarts on its own at least on

• Please log in to reply

johnnyhobbs

johnnyhobbs

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I've had this HPE-500y since May 2011 and for the last two months at least it unexpectedly would restart once or twice a day. Sometimes it would happen in the middle of me browsing and sometimes it would just happen when I'm not around. The only new hardware I've added is a second internal harddrive and a firewire card, both of which had already been in there months prior to this problem. When I go to event viewer, it is always the same. Event 41, Kernel-Power The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. Maybe I should also mention that, the computer does not seem to be overheating, at least from feeling the outside it doesn't seem like it. Hardware Diagnostics scan results in Passed for everything. I've dealt with it long enough, and now I'd like to get it resolved.

Here are the details from the event code.

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2012-02-12T07:19:16.337224100Z

EventRecordID 516229

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer John-HP

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

Edited by johnnyhobbs, 12 February 2012 - 01:45 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
The answers to a couple of questions may help us to determine what the cause is, I suspect the PSU at present.

Is the present PSU the stock 300W type that was fitted when the PC was new?
Are you using an add on video card or a video chip integrated into the MB?

The HP Elite - 500y specs http://h20000.www2.h...rodTypeId=12454

johnnyhobbs

johnnyhobbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Yes, the PSU is the stock one and I'm using the AMD Radeon HD 6450 video card that was included, not the integrated one.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the additional info, as I suspected the present PSU is underpowered.
A PSU calculator has just returned a recommendation of a minimum PSU output of 301W, that was allowing for an integrated video chip and one HDD, adding the HD6450 and a second HDD returns a recommendation of 330W, see http://images10.newe...tage-Calculator or http://www2.corsair.com/psufinder/ both are guides but tell you that the present PSU is insufficient.
A PSU that has a minimum 80% efficiency rating is advisable and always allow a headroom of 50 - 100W.

johnnyhobbs

johnnyhobbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks for the quick responses. I was under the impression that it was either the PSU or the graphics card overheating. But I see how adding on the second drive would definitely require more. Especially as I'm using my computer for a lot of multitrack recording (which is why i got the second drive). I'm not too keen on PSUs, but one of the results I got was the Enthusiast Series™ Modular TX650M. Would you recommend this?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Under normal circumstances I would have suggested that you try and borrow a known good PSU to try before purchasing a new one but as the present PSU is clearly underpowered there is no option but to replace it in any event.
I am not a fan of modular PSUs and would only suggest using one if a person was limited for space due to case size for example, the brand you linked to is very good and one that I recommend, one I suggest you consider http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139020

Hopefully the present underpowered PSU has not caused any harm to other components but be aware that this is always a danger.

johnnyhobbs

johnnyhobbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks a lot for the recommendations, I'm gonna order this one ASAP! I just checked the dimensions and they match perfectly. I'll post again when it arrives with how things go.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Keep us posted :thumbsup:

johnnyhobbs

johnnyhobbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Well good news is the PSU came in and I got installed quick and easily (: Bad news is that within 3 minutes of turning it on with the new PSU, the computer restarted and gave the same error code :/

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Unfortunately it may be as I said in post #6

Hopefully the present underpowered PSU has not caused any harm to other components but be aware that this is always a danger.

Try removing the add on video card and using the MBs integrated video chip, any change?

NB: You must remove the add on video card for the integrated chip to work or disable the add on card in the BIOS, the first option is more favorable IMO.

Advertisements

johnnyhobbs

johnnyhobbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Before I do that, I looked back at the error logs and this all started happening January 11th, one or two days after I installed a PCIe firewire card. Could that have anything to do with it?
Also I didn't see this before but another error that shows up whenever this occurs is:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: AMD Northbridge
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: HyperTransport Watchdog Timeout Error
Processor ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Please check the status of your chipset drivers in the Device Manager, any yellow ! present?
If not then follow the previous guidance regarding removing the add on video card please.

johnnyhobbs

johnnyhobbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
So its been a few days and have not had any problems at all. The last thing I did was disable my firewire card and since then everything has run smoothly. No errors, no shutdowns, nothing. Thanks again for all your help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the update, it would appear that the firewire card/associated drivers were conflicting with another device.

Please check the status of your chipset drivers in the Device Manager, any yellow ! present?

Did you check this?

johnnyhobbs

johnnyhobbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Nope, nothing yellow. Everything looks fine in Device Manager