Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE 8 won't open unless computer is restarted

• Please log in to reply

highland403

highland403

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
We leave our computer running 24/7 with it going to sleep after 2 hours of nonuse. After the computer has been asleep all night, IE won't load the next morning. (I also use Opera and it loads with no problem.) The only way to get IE to load is to restart the computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Windows Internet Explorer 9 is the current version of the Internet Explorer web browser from Microsoft. I would consider up-grading to 9 it may resolve the issue too, See download link below:

http://windows.micro...roducts/ie/home

I would also like Bing and MSN defaults Uncheck the box on the web page before downloading so there are no surprises.

Joe

Edited by zep516, 12 February 2012 - 05:11 PM.

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
According to that web page, I have to be running Vista or Windows 7 to install IE 9. I am running Windows XP Home Version.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Sorry about that. You're correct about XP too. Let me see what else I can find For you. Sleep mode can be problematic too. I stopped using it, when I'm done for the day I completely shut down.

Joe

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Joe, I don't know why this would have anything to do with the IE trouble, but recently I tried speeding up how long it takes my computer to start up (about 5 minutes) by going to msconfig and unchecking some of the items in the Startup tab that I didn't think needed to be part of the startup process. Maybe something I unchecked needs to be checked?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Highland403,

I don't advise using the Microsoft configuration tool to control start-up programs. I would consider resetting things back to how they were. It's as explained below a diagnostics tool not a means to an end.

Why you should not be using MSconfig to control startups!!

Many people frequently use MSconfig as a long term solution to control startup processes and services. You will also see many websites condoning use of MSconfig and teaching you how to use it for controlling startups. This is a very bad idea for many reasons.

1 MSconfig was designed to be used only as a temporary debugging/troubleshooting tool. It was not meant to be used for long term solutions.
2 MSconfig does not show all startups anyway.
3 If you uninstall programs while they are being disabled with MSconfig, they will not be uninstall properly and you will have to resort to manual registry editing to properly get everything removed. MSconfig will leave orphan entries if/when installed software is uninstalled while under the control of MSconfig . When/if MSconfig is turned back to normal startup, it will give errors on boot due to those orphan entries.
4 MSconfig and Services:

• If you uninstall programs while you have some of the programs services being controlled with MSconfig, the programs will not be uninstall properly and you will have to resort to manual registry editing to get everything properly removed.
  • When you uncheck a service in msconfig, you completely disable it. If you uncheck the wrong one, you may not be able to restart your computer.
  • It is safer to control services by using Control Panel, Administrative Tools,
Services (this runs services.msc).
5 You can lock malware items into your registry that you may not see anymore until some point in time where you switch back to Normal Startup mode and now you can cause total reinfection of your PC with the malware. You need to remove the malware not mask it.

If you still don't understand why not to use MSconfig, see what Microsoft writes here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560 The key point is stated as such:
The System Configuration utility helps you find problems with your Windows configuration. It does not manage the programs that run when Windows starts.

http://forums.majorg...ad.php?t=149804

You can control start ups with these programs found below:

http://www.winpatrol.com/

http://www.malwareby...cts/startuplite

Joe

Edited by zep516, 13 February 2012 - 09:49 AM.

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Joe, I checked msconfig and I must have already changed it back to Normal Startup. Everything in Startup was already checked. So I'm guessing that's not the problem with IE. Maybe it has to do with sleep mode as you suggested.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Glad to hear your running in normal mode! If IE functions everywhere else but coming out of sleep mode then of course it's some sort of sleep mode issue. There are so many documented issues with sleep mode it makes your head spin. Even a quick Google search for "Sleep mode issues XP" is quite daunting. I don't know how to fully advise you except for stop using it.

Joe

Edited by zep516, 14 February 2012 - 03:30 PM.

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
I will stop using it and just shut down in the evening and then restart the next morning. Thanks for your assistance! :D

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
You're very welcome. Glad to help! :)

Advertisements

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Joe,

I'm still having this problem with IE 8.

Shutting the computer down and restarting in the morning didn't solve the problem. Whatever the problem is, it also affects Opera to a certain degree. Opera will eventually load, but not like it used to. I don't know how to describe it, but I can tell that something is wrong with it too. Could it be something that both of these programs share?

Do you think uninstalling IE and reinstalling it would help?

One other thing, when I try to start IE, the blue status bar at the bottom of the screen flashes by (rather than taking a second or two) and then I get the hour glass next to the cursor. The hour glass never goes away and IE never loads.

Edited by highland403, 19 February 2012 - 07:59 AM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Lets run this and see if it addresses anything.

Try using System File Checker,
System File Checker merely makes sure that all system files are where they should be. The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
Open an Elevated Command Prompt window. To do so, click Start, then type cmd in the Start Search box. In the results area, right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator. You will be prompted to type the password for an administrator account. Click Continue if you are the administrator or type the administrator password. Then, click Continue.

At the command prompt, type the following command, sfc /scannow and then press ENTER.

Posted Image
The scan may take some time to complete. Windows will repair any corrupted or missing files that it finds. If required, Windows may prompt you to insert the Operating System CD.

Joe

Edited by zep516, 19 February 2012 - 11:44 AM.

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
My OS is XP, so I went to start, run, cmd... then typed in sfc /scannow. It ran for a while and then asked for the XP disc. I inserted it and it ran until it completed the scan but I expected it to tell me something when it finished but the window just closed.

How do I know if it repaired anything?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hi highland403,

In the event the the system asks you for the CD, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

If this doesn't repair the problem with your system other troubleshooting procedures are required.

Joe

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
It asked for the CD, which I put in. During this process, the CD asked if I wanted to install XP. I clicked no and scannow must have been accessing the CD because I could hear it spin every once in a while.

I checked for updates and the only update available was service pack 3 for MS 2007 Office Suite. I updated it. So now I guess we just have to wait to see if the problem persists?