Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE 8 won't open unless computer is restarted

• Please log in to reply

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
And see this link also for help with IE,

http://www.brighthub...cles/48520.aspx

Joe

Advertisements

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
I went to that bright hub link, but it said the article applies to a different version of Windows than the one I have.

I thought scannow fixed the problem. For two days IE started up so I thought the problem was fixed. I had previously signed out of iGoogle so I signed back in. When I did, IE shut down again. I wouldn't think that iGoogle could be the problem but iGoogle doesn't load right in Opera either.

So, I have signed out of iGoogle in IE and Opera to see if that makes a difference.

If this CAN'T be the problem, please let me know what else I should try. Thanks.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Sorry about that link. The one below may be better for you,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Joe

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
IE is all screwed up. I don't know what's going on with it. The top of the screen is black. See attached PDF. I have restarted the computer thinking that would get rid of it but the top of the screen still stays black. Attached File  Doc2.pdf   151.26KB   398 downloads

2/29/12: When I turned the computer on this morning, IE started and the black is gone.

Edited by highland403, 29 February 2012 - 07:06 AM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hi,

Why don't we try uninstalling IE8, the computer will automatically revert back to IE 7. Run IE 7 for a while to see if problems go away. Then consider re- downloading IE8. It's all I can think of for now.

To uninstall IE8 see below:

Click Start->Control Panel->Check for Updates ->View Update History->Installed updates

Right click IE8 and uninstall.

Let us know.

Joe

Edited by zep516, 29 February 2012 - 07:56 AM.

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
When I click Start and go to Control Panel, I don't have a Check for Updates icon.

On the left side of this screen I have On the left side of the screen I have Windows Update. After clicking that, I get the screen I have attached.
Attached File  Doc1.pdf   145.58KB   381 downloads

Under Options, I have, 'Review your update history'. Clicking on that brings up all of the updates installed so far but I haven't found IE 8 yet. But when I right click any of these updates, I don't seen an unistall option. I am in the right screen?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Alternative steps for Windows XP and for Windows Server 2003
1. Carefully select and then copy the following command:
%windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe
2.Click Start, and then click Run.
3.In the Open box, type Cmd.exe, and then press Enter.
4.Right-click inside the Cmd.exe window, and then click Paste to paste the command that you copied in step 1.
5.Press Enter to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
6.After the program is removed, restart your computer.

After you restart your computer, start Internet Explorer.
Click About Internet Explorer on the Help menu. If Internet Explorer 6 or Internet Explorer 7 is displayed in the About Internet Explorer dialog box, you are finished.
Steps taken from the link below. See link for additional reference

http://support.micro...00#stepsforadv2

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
That worked. IE8 is uninstalled. Now I am running IE6.

When I was going through the uninstall, I received a warning that some programs that I had installed after IE8 might not work properly because they might depend on IE8. I noticed that even Geeks to Go is different. The picture you use of Firefox devouring IE is missing.

How long should I used IE6 before I reinstall IE8?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

How long should I used IE6 before I reinstall IE8?

I would not run IE6 at all. It's somewhat outdated. I thought perhaps it would go to IE7. I would install IE7 for now a little more secure then IE6. Lets see how IE7 runs for you for a few days. I provided a link for IE7 Download below,
http://www.microsoft...tails.aspx?id=2

Let me know how IE7 runs for you. When IE8 first came out it was problematic on some XP Machines.

Joe

Edited by zep516, 29 February 2012 - 09:34 PM.

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
I installed IE7 but the install couldn't update it. The install said restart the computer and then start IE. Then go to Tools>Windows Update. I did that but I couldn't access the updates because it said I didn't have ActiveX. But when I clicked on the bar to run ActiveX, it just took me back to the same window, basically like the screen was being refreshed which said I needed to install ActiveX.

The MS update shield was showing in the task bar so I thought that is what I needed to install the updates. Turns out, one of the updates was to install IE8. So that's what's running now. IE7 has been updated to IE8 but I didn't know that was going to happen.

What do I do now?

Edited by highland403, 01 March 2012 - 10:21 PM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hi highland403,

Basically we uninstalled IE8 and reinstalled it.
Is IE8 running any better now?

Also see if the link helps you with the Active X bar, should you run into that again.
http://i-cmg.com/cmg...rmation_bar.htm

You can also block IE8 IF needed, go to the list of Updates waiting> right-click on that IE8 one> Hide It. That is If we need to uninstall it again.

Joe

Edited by zep516, 01 March 2012 - 10:56 PM.

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
IE8 does seem to be running correctly now, but I'll repost in a couple of days and let you know if it isn't. Thanks!

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Ok. Thanks for that! Lets hope it's better for you now.

Joe :)

Edited by zep516, 02 March 2012 - 06:45 AM.

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
So far, so good!

There was only one hiccup when IE8 wouldn't start, but after closing it and opening a couple of times, it loaded successfully. Since then, there haven't been any problems.

Thanks for your help!

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
You're welcome :)