Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

please help ntdlr isuue +++

• Please log in to reply

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
hi guys
please forgive my grammar

i have a compaq presario running xp service pack 3

i accidently ( i think ) deleted a file containing ntdlr so when i tried to restart computer because my cursor was not moving i got the message ntlr is misssing so i used the recovery console thinking it would just reinstall what was missing :blush: well now i have a seemingly new operating system and do not have access to old files or system restore beyond today
first thing i wanted to do was get my antivirus up (avira ) but when i search for the files they are showing but computer says they dont work ) but i have the windows firwall working
i should have come here first and am so mad at myself for attempting anything without proffesional help
if anyone has any advice for me i would be so greatfull
p.s. i have received help here before and think you guys are all awesume for what you do for people like me who lack teh knowledge to fix things like this ourselves

thank you in advance

todd
p.s. i am on a laptop as i am afraid to do anything online with the desktop for security issues for now
it (desktop id still accesing the net but i dont want to restart it for fear of losing that due to network config it was asking to rename tht network and all that stuff
soo i dont know what to do next

Edited by snowysdad43, 12 February 2012 - 11:02 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Not sure I understand what happened. Are you saying you reinstalled XP (now i have a seemingly new operating system and do not have access to old files or system restore beyond today)?

If so you will have to download your antivirus again to install it: Avira Free Anti-virus

Consider switching to Microsoft Security Essentials. It's what I use as do many of the folks who volunteer here.

You also said: when i search for the files they are showing but computer says they dont work

Was this when you were trying to start Avira without reinstalling it? Pl3ease elaborate, thanks.

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Not sure I understand what happened. Are you saying you reinstalled XP (now i have a seemingly new operating system and do not have access to old files or system restore beyond today)?

If so you will have to download your antivirus again to install it: Avira Free Anti-virus

Consider switching to Microsoft Security Essentials. It's what I use as do many of the folks who volunteer here.

You also said: when i search for the files they are showing but computer says they dont work

Was this when you were trying to start Avira without reinstalling it? Pl3ease elaborate, thanks.

thank you for replying
yes it(recovery console) reinstalled xp so it was liike new (ie #6) was default search ,i was prompted to register my new product ect )
so i had to update (microsoft update to security pack 2 then 3 for xp and update a bunch of other stuff)
i did install micro soft essentials thanks )
so as far as my old documents .pics ect they no longer exost in these folders only the origional sample pics that come with a new comp
but when i use the search function in the start menu (pictres,files ,folders i am able to see my old pics i started copying some of them to a flash drive last night
i guess now i am wondering how to acces the origional path's to those (old files)
example some of my programs from before this happened still show up in the desktop (icons) but when i try to acces them i get a message file ?or path does not exist
i am able to use the internet now and the comp boots really fast compared to before so i am not sure this is a bad thing short of finding some of my documents and maybee manually reinstalling some programs that are lost
?
do you have any suggestions for me ?
thank you
ztrucker

Edited by snowysdad43, 13 February 2012 - 09:41 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Go to documents and settings
when you find the folder in documents and settings containing your original documents, pictures etc.
do this
  • Log on as as a user with administrative privelages
  • In Windows Explorer, click Tools, click Folder Options, click the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders, click to clear the Hide protected operating system files check box, and then click OK.
  • Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive on which Windows XP is installed, and Old_Username is the name of the profile you want to copy user data from.
  • Press and hold down the CTRL key while you click each file and subfolder in this folder, except the following files:
Ntuser.dat
Ntuser.dat.log
Ntuser.ini

OR it is easier if you do this

go to Edit up at the top, and Select All. Then hold down the Ctrl key and left click:
•Ntuser.dat
•Ntuser.dat.log
•Ntuser.ini
This will clear them of highlighting.

5.On the Edit menu, click Copy.
6.Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\New_Username folder, where C is the drive on which Windows XP is installed, and New_Username is the name of the user profile that you created in the repair install or whatever it was you did - as I like my colleague are not exactly sure what you did.
7. On the Edit menu, click Paste.
8. Reboot.

NOTE IMPORTANT
Establish a restore point FIRST. Then if anything goes wrong you can restore to the point.
ALTERNATIVELY you may simply copy and paste the documents pictures music files from where you find them to your new douments etc.

In respect of the programs and file path does not exist - do you still have the programs on your computer, if so instead of using the shortcut accesss the program
from Start - all programs, OR from My Computer C drive, Program files and then establish a new shortcut.

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
you guys are the best
macboatmaster you rock thank you so much for showing me how to find those files i hope you will be blessed with whatever your heart desires
ztrucker thank you i hope you are blessed as well
i know to you all my problem was probably minor but to me :thumbsup: you saved my pictures
god bless you
to anyone reding this please make a donation to these guys if you are able they have bills too !!
i am not working much now but i have donated in the past
and will in the future whenever i need their help

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Pleased it worked thanks for posting and especially for being so appreciative.