Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCCleaners good or bad?

• Please log in to reply

Chamelion

Chamelion

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
I don't know if it is or not, so instead of trying to ask it in the Spy/Malware forum, I'm going to try here.

My dadinstalled this program called System Mechanic Professional. Somewhere along the lines (because I definately dont' remember it prior to the installation) a program coems up caleld "PC Cleaners" (plural s). It doesn't inform me of any virus or malware or anything like that, it just pops up out of the blue. I decide to uninstall it because I don't remember where it came from, but the Security center's detecting it as the computer's virus protection program (which is turned off, due to me using System Mechanic).

Now, being unsure of what it is, I decide to look it up on the search sites, with two results stating that it is a malware program, while two toher sites claim it is a legit program. I'm completely confused about it, and I'm just curious to see which one it is. Is it a virus program disguising itself as an anti-malware program? Or did it get installed as a side-program when my dad installed System Mechanic?

Side-note: I did run a virus scan using malwarebytes (Yes, I know I shouldn't have two Anti-virus programs running, but let's handwave that for now.) and it didn't detect it as a virus program, which confuses me even further.

Edited by Chamelion, 12 February 2012 - 06:38 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I did run a virus scan using malwarebytes (Yes, I know I shouldn't have two Anti-virus programs running, but let's handwave that for now.)

Unless you have the paid for version of MBAM you do NOT have two A/V programs running as the free version of MBAM does not run in real time - it is a scan and clean ONLY
It has NO real time protection.

2. It is difficult to answer the main question completely, as although you APPEAR to refer to these, that of course is not necessarily the case. Many programs, especially the intentional scams etc masquerade as the genuine article.

If what you refer to is this
http://www.iolo.com/...m-mechanic/pro/
then my ONLY comment to you and perhaps to your Father is that you do not really want it, nor indeed need it.
It is like many other programs of this ilk, it offers many aspects that can be readily performed using the inbuilt tools of Windows. It offers the unwanated and freqently dangerous so called BOOST my system registry cleaner etc and as far as its protection from Malware there are FAR BETTER, longer establ;ished, highly regarded FREE programs.

In the case of the other issue, it is unconnected per se, but depending on where the first was installed from it may well have been acquired.
This is the Web of Trust report and you will see that you want it EVEN less than you want the unwanted System Mechanic Professional.
http://www.mywot.com...pc-cleaners.com

I personally would not even open the link to that PC Cleaners, I simply obtained the WOT report

In summary you do not want either.
The first is largely a gimmick and the second is dangerous.

I cannot give you Malware advice, as on this site only certified qualifed advisors may do so.
ALL I can say is - read this and then you will see WHAT you would be far better with
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

and why you do NOT want System Mechanic Pro
It claims to do this

Turbocharge Windows startup
Jump-start sluggish programs
Repair internet connection
Repair registry problems
Repair registry fragmentation
Compact registry bloat
Clean up excessive system clutter
Repair hard drive errors
Repair security vulnerabilities
Optimize internet connection
Defragment all hard drives
Defragment system memory
Repair broken shortcuts
Back up the registry
Keep critical drivers up to date
Keep SSDs at top speed

If it REALLY could, without risking the health of your computer, it would be a market leader.
If your father has purchased it, it is a little like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

My advice is to RESTORE to a point before you had either of them.
OR uninstall them - if indeed you can.

THEN go here
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

Follow carefully the advice in the link and post in the forum, to obtain the advice of an expert from our Malware forum.
IF YOU do post provide a link to this thread please in the Malware thread.

Chamelion

Chamelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Okay, thanks for the tips. You're right about MBAM, though; I do have it jsut in the free version and not the purchased one.

As for System Mechanic, I understand why you don't like it as it is, and I respect that, the only thing is that it's just an opinion, and personally, I'm just getting sick and tired of having so many people telling me to use different Anti-virus/malware programs because they think that one is the best one, etc. etc. I'm just goign to keep using system Mechanic but I will let my dad know about what you said.

Thanks again.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

, I'm just getting sick and tired of having so many people telling me to use different Anti-virus/malware programs because they think that one is the best one, etc. etc I'm just goign to keep using system Mechanic.

It is absolutely your choice.
I did not recommend ANY one anti-virus program to you, with any suggestion that any one was the best one.

If you and your father, wish to place your confidence in the protection offered by the anti-virus elements of System Mechanic Pro., then that is entirely a matter for you and your father.
http://www.virusbtn....70&id5=50&id6=9

It has the distinction of being the only one on these comparisons with LESS passes than fails.
BUT as you said

I'm just goign to keep using system Mechanic

Good luck with it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

As for System Mechanic, I understand why you don't like it as it is, and I respect that, the only thing is that it's just an opinion, and personally, I'm just getting sick and tired of having so many people telling me to use different Anti-virus/malware programs because they think that one is the best one,

its precisely that kind of thinking that gets so many people in trouble with their systems...

I do this kind of work for a living and charge $45.00 per hour to do it...
I can't count the number of times that I have fixed systems only to get them back in a month or so with the same crap I removed before installed again and of course their computer has turned into a turd-slow almost unusable system...I give everyone a list of everything I uninstalled and the reason why they should never use it...that said I take it in then do it all over again for the ridiculously low price of a few hundred dollars then send them on their way knowing that after a few thousand dollars for the slow people they will actually start heeding my advice...

mac gave you good advice...PAY ATTENTION or suffer the consequences...
please don't bother repling to thes post because as of now I have added you to my blocked list and I will never see your posts again...
I only tolerate that kind of attitude from paying clients...never for free help